Took Gmat today: 740

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Took Gmat today: 740

by ama2rm » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:13 pm
Hi,

I haven't been very active in the forum but have been "lurking" and learning. Eric, thanks for the great resource. I chanced upon your wonderful site 4 weeks ago, the same time I started preparing.

I am not entirely elated with the score as I was scoring 760-790 on almost all GMATprep tests. Quant did not seem an issue for me during practise and given my engg. background I was overconfident. This is where I did poorly. The actual GMat math is a lot harder.
Verbal: I was doing well and did so on the actual test too.
Was hoping to score better in quant..but...

Here is how I tackled it:
OG 11 for the last one week. nothing else.
Sahil's notes and Eric's flashcards.
Kaplan GMAT 800 2007
PR Math workout for Gmat
PR verbal workout for Gmat.

I didn't get a chance to go through all the problems. OG I started backwards to do the more difficult problems.

During the actual test, I was panicky and nervous during the math section. I think this contributed. My timing seemed off too.
By verbal I had settled down and it seemed easier. Like someone else had mentioned, GMAT verbal is much better written than most books lead you to believe.

Hope this helps!

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by jayhawk2001 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:12 pm
740 in 4 weeks. Very impressive. Congrats !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by drhomler » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:19 am
Nice score-congrats.
I have a question for you regarding your statements about the quant on the "real" test. What specifically was more diffiuclt on the "real test" relative to the gmatprep? I have heard many people say the opposite, and I am just curious what you thought.

In my own experience there are certain categories in the quant that I would say Im weaker on than others so if I got asked a series of the ones I do not excel in, I would have trouble.

Anyway thanks fo ryour help and good luck with your apps.