Did it happen to anyone else?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Did it happen to anyone else?

by Caps » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:41 am
I guys,... today I did the gmat, and socred 600... not what I was expecting, but I could have scored a little higher, it the mouse didn't stop working 6 min before the end of the verbal section, and started working again after more less 2 min....

I called the person that was looking for the exam and she saw it wasn't working... lost time got nervous, and with that at the end had to answer 3/4 questions without even reading it...

Did this happen to anyone? what did you do and what was the result from your complaining

tnks a lot

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beeparoo » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:58 pm
Whoa, what a nightmare. When you are in the 'moment' and have basically trained yourself for months to write an intensive exam like that, having computer components fail can totally throw you off. I received a pen that didn't work properly despite testing it prior. That in itself caused blood to rush to my head and I froze for a few seconds during the essay portion of the test.

If I were you, I would send Pearson VUE a letter to discuss what happened. I'm not sure what kind of alternative recourse they would provide, but something like that is definitely noteworthy.

One of my Kaplan instructors said that a former student of his had to write an examination on a day when an adjacent office had a live band rehearsing their songs. This person also wrote to or called Pearson VUE to file a complaint.

They will take your concern seriously. I'm sure of it.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re: Did it happen to anyone else?

by Shaki » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:56 pm
O yeah! @#$% happens! Don't get upset though!

I also had problems with the computer when taking the test for the 1st time. Making long story short, I had to rewrite the second essay coz of some troubles with the PC. So I had to spend some 40 min extra on the AWA section. The final score was...guess what?? 600 just as yours!

I called the pearson vue and everywhere I could. Each of the places I called said it was not their specific responsibility. But I was very insolent and kept on gettin on their nerves :) They finally opened a "case" for me.
So one beautiful day (probably in couple of weeks after the test day) I received a letter stating that I could retake the exam for free.

So hey! Be a bit (or alot) insolent and keep calling them! Coz e.mails are not good in this case.

Good luck!

PS I'm sure you will be able to raise your score considerably, coz you have already got 600 while panicking and spending your attetnions to the problems you had with PC, rather than to the problems you got on the screen ;)
na etot raz poluchitsya!