Is it bad if I use powerpoint for Stern...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Is it bad if I use powerpoint as the medium to express myself for NYU Stern's creative response essay question?

I have heard it is a faux pas to submit anything powerpoint related to NYU Stern, since Chicago GSB already requires applications to answer one of their questions with powerpoint (i.e. NYU Stern admissions officers might think you are simply recycling your Chicago GSB presentation).

However, I am applying for the part time program and have not applied to Chicago or any other full time programs. My concern is that the admissions officers won't care and will immediately red flag my submission because it is power point.

I know I could easily submit a boring essay instead, but the thing is, I'm good at power point. I work in investment banking, so I'm forced to think in power point. I already have a ton of ideas for different power point slides...I just don't want to be red flagged...Any thoughts?

P.S. Could you also evaluate my profile, since I presumably already have your attention? :)

Target: NYU Stern Part Time MBA Program
Undergrad: State school, 3.3 GPA
GMAT: 710
Work experience: 4-5 years of equity research experience. Currently working as a research associate at a bulge bracket New York-based investment bank.

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:03 pm
Dear Speaker8000,

I think you have a competitive profile for the part-time program at Stern. Your essays, interview and recommendations will play a significant role in the decision though. As for using powerpoint, I think you should use it if that is the medium you feel will represent your ideas best. While the admissions committee might not prefer powerpoint (although I've never heard that), it would not be an automatic rejection if you used it. I think the key is to be as creative as possible with it--not just submitting slides with text.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me