710 - v40 Q48 - and thinking wat next?????!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
710 - v40 Q48 Essay score yet to come.

1. Krannert
2. Fischer
3. Erasmus
4. Boston Univ.

Looking for admit + scholarship.

5. ISB
6. Insead

NOT looking for schol.

For now, forget the acads and extra currs.
I am an Indian-IT-male-24-4yr work exp in 2K8
Will this score be detrimental to my aspirations?

Please shed some light ..

-V

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:19 am
A 710 is a great score and will certainly not be detrimental. I see that you've posted in Stacy's forum as well--she'll be the better expert with regard to whether you are competitive for scholarships. Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by ThinkingWatNext » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:58 pm
Thanks Eric.

One great thing that I observed in this forum is the first reply to most queries comes from Eric. And that too not some mumbo-jumbo kind of automated reply but one with a personal touch.

Great work Eric. Simply stupendous.

Thanks
-V

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:10 pm
I think you'll find that this community has a lot of people who care about others' success--I hope that's what makes this forum unique from the other GMAT/MBA forums.

Welcome! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

My debrief

by ThinkingWatNext » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am
Thought I wud do my bit by posting my debrief.

The GMAT Foreplay:

As on the 15th of march 2007, I had no clue about number of sections GMAT had. Just had heard from a couple of people that it was the exam that the BSchools use to let candidates get into their gates. I had given my CAT ( Indian MBA admission exam ) with a preparation that could be qualified with all kinds of the noble adjectives that one can associate with a diligent exam taker. But my scores in the exams with fully loaded prep were less than half of what I had scored with no prep at all. Totally exhausted I turned towards GMAT and boy it was a relief wen compared with the CAT.

I used my first fifteen days ( from 15 Mar - 30 Mar ) doing some soul searching, thinking about stuff like - wat MBA, where MBA, how MBA, etc. I knew strategy was my strong point since my childhood. So the wat MBA was answered without much thinking. Then I set out short listing colleges that catered to my stream so the where MBA was answered. I have been harboring hopes of a scholarship / loan to fund my studies. Dunno if a 710 will suffice for a schol - so i have thrown the question to Ms.Blackman and am just keeping my fingers crossed.

My Prep:

Verbal:

SC:
Used OG 10 and OG 11. Went through each and every question and answer ( even if I got the question right ) at least twice.

Used PR for the SC techniques. Rules are crisply stated.

Took the sets 21-30.
Didnt take the all the 1000sc. But I feel it is worth taking if u want to break into the 750 barrier.

Took and retook and retook and retook...the GMATprep till I went thru every question GP could offer.

Test tackling strategy - Eliminate!!
before even looking at the question compare the answer choices. In most of the questions at least 1, if not more, choice will certainly be eliminated.

2 eliminated - U r lucky.
3 eliminated - It is ur day!!! No one can stop U.
4 or 5 eliminated - Dude! U fell into a GMAT trap!!

SC was my nemesis. That too I start getting spasms wen i encounter questions with 'had been', 'were','being' etc. Could never get over it till the DDay. I think it must have contributed to my low score in verbal.

CR:
OG 10 and OG 11
Did every question from the 50th question.
Got almost every question correct.
So didnt spend too much time.

RC:
Only the GMAT prep RCs.
Was too bored to take RCs from OG10 and 11.

Quant:
Sets 21 - 30
I have about 120GB of material running inside my head from my CAT prep. But the prob is my processor makes too many careless errors. Ask me 70*70 and I will say 490. So basics were never an issue. Just the accuracy.

So I tried to be extra careful. But in being so I started losing speed . That is something I must have worked on to take my score to 50.

DDay:

DO NOT TOUCH UR BOOKS.
Just be normal and
Please abstain from reading any "Wat to do on DDay".

I think this writeup is organized in a uncohesive kind of way.
But just thought lemme pitch in wth something.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:32 am
I was scanning through the forums and I read word foreplay :lol: and now I regret that I had not good through this thread earlier ;)

I wonder how Eric keeps up with all posts :? you're right there twn, every post of his has some personal touch :blush:

gimme some time I'll try to answer to your userid ;)