540->620

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

540->620

by vijshinde29 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:59 am
I took my GMAT test tuesday and due to an mishap the night before the test I could not concentrate on my test and scored
540(q37,v27).

I am planning to retake the test on May 4th.

so far I have used following resources

RESOURCES
OG-11
OG-VERBAL-REVIEW
OG-MATH-REVIEW

MGMAT-SC
MGMAT-WORD PROBLEMS

PRACTICE TESTS

MGMAT 1-4. I scored consistently around 600-640
gmat prep 1 - 560
gmat prep 2 - 590

I need to score around 600 to apply for evening MBA program.

Here are my weaknesses

1. RC
2. CR - Boldline\inference\dialog questions
3. DS - Tricky DS
4. SC - Dificult SC - I know all the grammer rules but soem time don't know how to apply them
5. PS - Tough probability questions \ inequility\MOD problems

If you have any suggestions or any comments on how do I approach my study for the next month please let me know.

My problem is so far I have gone thro' most of the available GMAT material and I don't know where to start...

Any suggestions????????

where can I get actual GMAT like practice..

is GMATFocus any good ???

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:56 am
Hi there,

For "actual GMAT-like practice," it doesn't get much better than the OG books (orange, green and purple). Those are actual questions that have been used by the GMAC in the past, so those are great resources.

You said that you already went through the material you have, but did you already take the time to REALLY understand each problem and answer choice? As I've mentioned in previous posts, it's really about QUALITY, not quantity, when it comes to studying for the GMAT. Take the time to analyze each question, and learn from your mistakes.

Focus on your problem areas, but don't neglect the other sections in the meantime.

Good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by vijshinde29 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:11 pm
Thanks Jim,

I think I understand your point,But my problem is I will remember most of the answers just by looking at the problem.

I am not sure weather my approach for GMAT was wrong or I am using wrong material.

In my last attempt I solved all types questions but in the end I focused on tough PS problems assuming I can solve mid levels questions easiliy.

I am totally lost and I don't know from where to start.

Vijay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:27 pm
I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. The answer to a question is not important. Rather, the PROCESS of getting to the answer is what you need to worry about.

When you see a problem that you've done before, you should almost instantly recall HOW to do the problem. What type of problem is it? How do you set up the equation? Any tricks or shortcuts that you can employ?

Asking yourself those types of questions rather than simply "what is the answer" will improve your study.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

by vijshinde29 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:59 am
Thanks Jim,

I think I was approaching GMAT exam the wrong.

I will focus only on GMAT material and try to undertand concepts rather than just finding the correct answer to the problem.

Vijay

by clubtwofour » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:39 pm
VP_JIM is absolutely right. You should understand how to approach each TYPE of GMAT question. At first I tried to understand each type of question on a question by question basis, but my approach tended to have a holes.

What helped me a lot was to go through the OG book and identify all questions that were of the same type. I then asked myself, what strategy/methdology can I build that would allow me to successfully answer ALL of these questions. This leads you to develop a more comprehensive approach. It forces you to understand the core principle(s) that is being tested, gives you confidence that your approach is solid even if the question tests a slight variance of your practice problems, and tackles multiple questions at the same time. As you start to see patterns across the test, it makes taking the actual exam a lot easier.

GMAT Score:490

by tuscan21 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:16 am
Good evening,
I've attended 21h of group preparation, studying and solving the old past papers of the GMAT.
These days I'm studying OG 12, my weakest point by far is the quantitative section. I usually score 50% of the quantitative questions. Should I buy the OG quantitative book? Are the questions different from OG's 12?
I'm despaired, GMAT quant is very difficult for me.