Distribution of land mass

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Distribution of land mass

by Vemuri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:41 am
The distribution of land mass within the core of the Earth, like the mantle that surrounds the core, has been deduced from the orbital behavior of the Earth and the motions of satellites controlled by the Earth's gravity.

A. the mantle that surrounds the core
B. that within the mantle surrounding the core
C. that of the mantle surrounding the core
D. the mantle the core surrounds
E. the distribution of mass withing the mantle that surrounds the core

Please answer with reasoning

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:24 members
GMAT Score:750

by TedCornell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:46 am
The first part of the comparison is "distribution of mass within the core". An ideal sentence would compare this to "distribution of mass within Y"

A - Incorrectly compares "distribution of mass within the core" to "the mantle". Eliminate A for unparallel construction

B - that stands for distribution of mass, so if we were to write out be, it would compare the first term to "distribution of mass within the mantle". This matches our expected construct "distribution of mass within Y"

C - that stands for distribution of mass, so if we were to write out be, it would compare the first term to "distribution of mass of the mantle". "of" is problematic for two reasons. (1) it uses a different preposition than the first element does to introduce the prepositional phrase. The first part says "distribution within the core", not "distribution of the core". (2) it changes the meaning. "distribution within" does not mean the same thing as "distribution of" does. Eliminate C

D - See A

E - Exactly the construct we expected; "distribution of mass within Y" is a perfect match for "distribution of mass within the core"

B and E are the only grammatically correct answers. B is better for concision's sake.

I would pick B.

Note: The fact that the last comma is underlined actually makes all the answer choices incorrect (because no answer uses that comma, creating run-on sentences)

(I use the OG and GMATFix Verbal Flashcards)

by PAB2706 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:34 pm
IMO C

for parallel structure " distribution OF landmass within the earth,like that OF mantle surrounding the core....."

I might be wrong after reading ted's post i think it does make sense but i wud like to stick to my answer bcos this is wht i wud have chosen on the exam...i wud like to know where i went wrong.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by acorra » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:33 pm
IMO C, parallel wins

Please post the answer.

rgds
Andrew

Legendary Member

by Vemuri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:47 pm
Please review your answers to check why A is wrong. "The distribution of mass" is parallel to "the mantle". What is a mantle? Its the layer of the earth between the crust and the core. So the comparision is appropriate.

"Within mantle", "that of the mantle" only change the meaning of the sentence.

I am now throwing this open for discussion again

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by cm47323 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:32 pm
in describing mantle, i believe "which" is better than "that," since there is only one mantle, ie. use a non-essential modifier. IMO C is the winner

GMAT Score:720

Re: Distribution of land mass

by mjjking » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:04 pm
Vemuri wrote:The distribution of land mass within the core of the Earth, like the mantle that surrounds the core, has been deduced from the orbital behavior of the Earth and the motions of satellites controlled by the Earth's gravity.

A. the mantle that surrounds the core
B. that within the mantle surrounding the core
C. that of the mantle surrounding the core
D. the mantle the core surrounds
E. the distribution of mass withing the mantle that surrounds the core

Please answer with reasoning
Vemuri it's not A because you cannot compare the distribution of land mass and the mantle, but you can compare two distributions, hence you need a that.
Now, between B and C, I pick B hands down, because of parallelism and because it makes more sense. The "that" in B doesn't refer only to the distribution but to all "The distribution of land mass" as it is all the subject there. You are comparing the distribution of the land mass within x with that within x.
Hence IMO B.
Beat The GMAT - 1st priority
Enter a top MBA program - 2nd priority
Loving my wife: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

REAL THING 1 (AUG 2007): 680 (Q43, V40)
REAL THING 2 (APR 2009): 720 (Q47, V41)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nasa » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:35 pm
I vote for B. Ted's explanation suffices

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by cm47323 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:49 pm
I change my vote to B. My previous post only disproved why A was a good choice

by delhiboy1979 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:13 am
Both B and C are parallel. I would go with B cos it is shorter.

by S0laris » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:04 pm
IMO - the key word is mass distribution, in addition "land" and "mantle" consist of the "mass" hence:
The distribution of land mass....., like that(mass distribution) of the mantle surrounding the core.......
so C
i think people are hunger for OA ;)
we are the champions !

by S0laris » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm
S0laris wrote:IMO - the key word is mass distribution, in addition "land" and "mantle" consist of the "mass" hence:
The distribution of land mass....., like that(mass distribution) of the mantle surrounding the core.......
so C
however, from my own perspectives - B seems better :?
I think that because "within" better fits than "of", and as TedCornell mentioned double "of" - wrong
we are the champions !

Legendary Member

by Vemuri » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:20 pm
S0laris wrote:IMO - the key word is mass distribution, in addition "land" and "mantle" consist of the "mass" hence:
so C
OK, the majority wins !!! OA is indeed B.

GMAT Score:620

by Rashmi1804 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 am
i thought E is superior to B.....because the use of surrounding after Mantle jus dint sound correct. :(

which is more appropriate " surrounding " or "that surrounds"

can anyone shed some light on this one??