Oxford english dictionary

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Oxford english dictionary

by Nailya » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:57 pm
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen; although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been born.

A) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary had been
B) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
C) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was being
D) would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was
E) took more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was about to be

Guys, can anybody explain why the correct answer is D? I read the official explanation but it just does not make sense to me... Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm
IMO "B" is better answer.

by Nailya » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:20 pm
I picked B too, but it's wrong I don't understand why!

Legendary Member

by reachac » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:49 pm
Hmmm

First some revision of concepts is needed here-
When/Where do we use past perfect(or other complex tenses)?

The past perfect (or other complex tenses) is used when there are two past actions and we want to indicate which one happened first(or some chronological list/events)

Read the first part(one preceding the semicolon) of the sentence again.
In 1860, the Philological Society launched its effort to create a dictionary more comprehensive than the world had ever seen;

you have to bear in mind that the time frame here is 1860. Some decision has been taken, some start has been made that would lead to some future event/product.[Now read on second part as if the time frame is still 1860]. The completion of project is still a futuristic event(the day when the dictionary would actually be completed) but the 'start' of the project has happened already("born" signifies the start of the project here).

Hence we write
although the project would take more than 60 years to complete, the Oxford English Dictionary was

D it is

Cheers!

by Nailya » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:03 pm
Thank you reachac! Your explanation is awesome! :D
The use of "would" form confused me the most, but now I got it!