Please evaluate my profile - thank you very much in advance!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I am still torn between european schools (IMD and INSEAD) and US schools (preference for Harvard and Stanford). I want to aim high! Being 31, I'm thinking that going to a 1-year program in January 2010 suits me well, but I still want to consider a US 2-year program for the fall of 2010.

My profile:
- MS in Computer science from highly respected school in Switzerland (EPFL). 1 year exchange student at Carnegie Mellon, and another semester at Carnegie Mellon as an exchange scholar for my final project. Overall GPA 3.9 / 4

- 5.5 years of experience: 2 as an engineer, 3.5 as a product manager, in the software industry (videogames). Rated Above Average at every review, and promoted at every review cycle except the year where I made the lateral move from engineering to product management.

- GMAT 710 (Q47, V39, AWA 5.5) taken a couple of weeks ago. I know I could have done better, I did better in most of my prep tests and I handle tests very well in general. I tend to do better in tests than in practice, so this was a little bit of a disappointment. However I am currently not reconsidering a retake since I am above IMD and INSEAD's average, and just below Stanford and Harvard. I doubt that it would make a difference if I retake and score 730 or 740.

- (not sure it's relevant) fluent in 3 languages, basic knowledge of another 2

Do you think this profile is competitive for the aforementioned top schools?
And as a side question, will I be in the engineering applicants pool because of my engineering background?

Many thanks in advance. Any insight and advice will be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mr Muggles

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:18 pm
Hi M,
Thanks for your post. To be honest, I am not to familiar with International programs (and would be happy to put you in touch with someone at Veritas Prep who manages those programs).

Regarding H/S, I think you would be competitive for those programs, however my only concern is your age. Those schools are trending lower in average age, so... while I hate to say it - age might be an issue. You might consider expanding your US schools search to other top programs such as Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia if you are interested in a US program.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep