Strategy to attack DS questions & general test-taking

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi all,

In the past few weeks of doing OG, I realized that I am weak at DS (especially inequalities & number properties). What can I do to improve myself on these kind of questions. I could always practice more Qs but I need a better approach & some tips on how to attack these areas.

A summary of my mistakes on the OG DS:
3 wrong in Q0-41
6 in Q48-94
10 in Q95-125
8 in Q126-155

The last 60, as you can see, are where I screwed up the most.

I plan to take GMAT prep, Kaplan Premier tests(online) & MGMAT over the next 5 weeks. So, any suggestions on how to phase them out & general test prep are welcome.

Thanks,
Nivas

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by drhomler » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:47 pm
One that might help in terms of approaching DS is that inequalities are usually testing your understanding of positives and negatives. Remember also FON1 when pluggin in values Fractions Zero Negatives and 1 that helps me avoid getting tripped up by DS where it is not explicit that the numbers are indeed integers.

Also if they give you an equation try to factor/foil or mangle the info so you can solve easier often if you move the variable to one side of the inequality you will find that you end up with something along the lines of is X<0? which is alot simpler to work with when you go into the clues.

Another little tip that I read about too, which I wasnt aware of at the start is that the clues cannot contradict each other so if you are getting D and your answers are different something is wrong.

Use the clues to your advantage-ie what are they telling you?

But the consensus seems to be practice, practive practice. It doesnt sound like you ar emissing too many of them though.

Hope that helps

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vrider » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:11 pm
drhomler,

Thanks for the advice. "FON1" - I'll try to use that. After reading the explanations, this is something I found out the hard way. For every inequality, its not enough to substitute random values but I need to test around the boundary.

I also read a document today targeted towards inequality and absolute values which suggests some good strategies.

I did not know about D option. Though after solving a few, I did see the same answers, I thought it wasn't a given. I'll keep that in mind.