Should I postpone? Your thoughts greatly appreciated

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi Everyone,
A couple weeks ago I took a MGMAT practice test and scored a 620. I felt pretty good considering my first attempt at the actual GMAT was 530. I am applying to a few part time programs in CA where the average score is right around 630ish.

This past weekend I took a GMAT Prep Test and scored 510 :(

Needless to stay I was shocked, saddened, and disappointed.

My test date is 3/21 so if I indeed reschdedule I would obviously need to do it in the next few days.

My question is whether I should postpone my exam and re-focus on some of my weak areas and brush up on some fundamentals?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.
Last edited by sme0928 on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by sme0928 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 am
anyone? your help/advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:50 pm
I cannot judge your performance, nor can i predict your result but i can tell you one thing, results from 2 tests wont necessarily reflect your GMAT score.

That being said, proper prep is needed to bring about a good amount of improvement. If the prep is not well planned, then the improvement would only be meager, if at all. I think a systematic 2 month prep would definitely push you to your desired score range. Now ask yourself

Was your preparation systematic?,

Did your prep just involve breezing thro GMAT problems and answers, or just solving hundreds of questions and checking how many you got right?

More importantly are you in a better state today (confidence and knowledge) than how you were before one week or one month ??

Anlyze these answers to know how confident you are to crack your desired score?

Very honestly only you can judge if its the right time to take the test or if you need to postpone it..

Good luck with your decision and with the exam,,
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:42 pm
I agree wholeheartedly with the above; no one can tell you how you will do on the actual GMAT. Chances are, your "true ability" is somewhere between those two scores.

Do some serious soul searching regarding whether your prep was systematic, as described above. If you think that you weren't prepping properly, certainly some more time to study the right way could certainly help. However, if you've been at it for a few months already and are studying the right way, it's possible that another month or two won't change much.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

thanks

by sme0928 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 am
Thanks for your input. My problem seems to be taking the concept or strategy from the problems I do in OG11 and applying them to problems on the practice exams.

I have been studying for a few months, but feel I have more potential than what my scores indicate.

I think I will go ahead with my test and if I don't get the scores I need/want, I will take a break, regroup, and come up with a new game plan. I will then retake and shoot for starting my MBA in early 2010.

Thoughts?

MBA Student
GMAT Score:640

Re: thanks

by hk » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:31 am
sme0928 wrote:Thanks for your input. My problem seems to be taking the concept or strategy from the problems I do in OG11 and applying them to problems on the practice exams.

I have been studying for a few months, but feel I have more potential than what my scores indicate.

I think I will go ahead with my test and if I don't get the scores I need/want, I will take a break, regroup, and come up with a new game plan. I will then retake and shoot for starting my MBA in early 2010.

Thoughts?
Thats a good way of looking at it. Most schools take your highest GMAT score so that wont be a problem.

"My problem seems to be taking the concept or strategy from the problems I do in OG11 and applying them to problems on the practice exams"

- For this flashcards are a excellent tool. Make them and review them everyday, this would always keep your concepts fresh and would definitely be able to apply them when taking a test.. just my 2 cents!!!
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

GMAT Instructor
GMAT Score:800

by Jose Ferreira » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 pm
The advice here has been good so far—the key to a true increase in your GMAT score is a true increase in your ability. Just for some background, in computer adaptive testing, the model works to determine the test-taker's true ability level, known as theta. From that theta there is a true score that would exactly represent that individual's performance. The standard error of measurement (SEM) for a particular assessment (without getting too technical here) gives an idea of how reliably that test gauges that theta over multiple administrations when all other factors are equal. It is purely a statistical measurement of the difference between the individual's true score and the hypothetical high or low score from actually taking the test. The GMAT has a SEM of 29 points, which means your score would be within 29 points of your true ability. The GMAT is a pretty well-tuned adaptive assessment.

I wanted to give that background to show that the GMAT is designed in such a way that "acing the test" without truly being able to perform at that level is a rare thing. That is not to say anything about what your true ability may be, whether closer to 510 or 620. If the average score is 630, I'd encourage you to think about pushing back the test and planning a month or two of specific prep. You don't want to go through and take the whole test and be hit with disappointment. Plus, even if you match your high of 620, that still leaves you below average for the programs you have in mind. With time on your side for the fall application cycle, gear up now with a focused plan, take the test in late spring or summer, hit it out of the park once, and then focus all your time on apps.

Hope that helps!
Jose Ferreira
Founder and CEO, Knewton, Inc.
https://www.knewton.com/gmat

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 pm
Jose Ferreira wrote:The advice here has been good so far—the key to a true increase in your GMAT score is a true increase in your ability. Just for some background, in computer adaptive testing, the model works to determine the test-taker's true ability level, known as theta. From that theta there is a true score that would exactly represent that individual's performance. The standard error of measurement (SEM) for a particular assessment (without getting too technical here) gives an idea of how reliably that test gauges that theta over multiple administrations when all other factors are equal. It is purely a statistical measurement of the difference between the individual's true score and the hypothetical high or low score from actually taking the test. The GMAT has a SEM of 29 points, which means your score would be within 29 points of your true ability. The GMAT is a pretty well-tuned adaptive assessment.
Just to amplify what Jose is saying about the standard error of measurement on the GMAT, and my apologies for taking a detour from the main purpose of this thread:

Because the test is finite in length, and because factors like lucky or unlucky guessing play a role in determining your score, the test will not always arrive at a perfectly accurate assessment of your 'true GMAT ability' - that is, the score you'd get on an infinitely long (if such a thing existed!) GMAT test. The Standard Error of Measurement measures how far the test can be from estimating your 'true level', and for test takers not at an extreme in ability, the standard error of measurement on the GMAT is, as Jose points out above, about 29 points.

So what does that mean? In technical language, the standard error is the standard deviation your test scores would have around your 'true level' if you took the test multiple times, and it is normally distributed: in numerical terms, 68% of the time, you'll score within 29 points of your 'true level', 95% of the time you'll score within 58 points, and essentially 100% of the time you'll score within 87 points.

For test takers, that means they should expect there may be a small difference between their real test score and their average score on reliable simulation tests. More than a 30 point swing up or down is unlikely, however, and more than a 50 point swing would be very rare, at least absent exceptional circumstances (e.g. falling asleep at the computer terminal in the test centre).

Of course, with good preparation you can improve your 'true ability level', which, as Jose points out, is the best way to increase your chances of a good score.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:590

by JessMoore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:59 pm
The first time I took the exam, I had unfortunately scheduled it on the tail end of a 60 hour week. I was horribly unprepared. I opted to not publish my scores, since I couldn't even finish the verbal section.

That was a costly mistake, but I think that it prepared me for the GMAT the second time around. I scheduled it a month later, and this time, I took several practice test and scored an average of between a 620-680. I needed a 600 at least.

I felt more calm and collected the second time around, and my score was very close to my target.

Don't sweat it if you get in there and you are having an off day or if you can't finish the sections. You can opt to cancel your score without viewing them when you know you did horribly, as I did the first time around.

And with all the great advice going around, I wish that I had discovered this forum about a year ago!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:550

by BS2009 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:46 pm
sme0928, I am in a similar situation. My test date is also next Saturday, 3/21, and I was seriously considering postponing it. My practice tests have been kind of all over the place (610, 480 (!!), 570, etc.) and I honestly feel that I can get at least get between 620 and 630.

In the end I have decided to take the test next week and then retake if necessary. As much as I want to apply (to part-time programs) for Fall 2009, I would rather get a better score and push my applications out to Spring 2010.

Good luck!