What are my chances?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:590

What are my chances?

by JessMoore » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:46 pm
Greetings,

I want to thank everyone ahead of time for the responses.

I graduated from Louisiana State in 2007 with a degree in Construction Management and a minor in Business Administration. My overall GPA is a 3.1, with my degree specific GPA is at a 3.4.

I was very involved with a student organization, holding two positions for two years and I hold 3 glowing letters of recommendations (2 from former employers, one from a faculty member at LSU).

I am disappointed with my GMAT score- a 590. I had practiced a lot, and my projected scores were in the mid 600 ranges. LSU stated on their website and in the information session that they look for a 600 or better on the GMAT, yet their statistics show that the 80% range is a 515-570. I'm not entirely clear on where I stand with this. I also have a 1050 on the GRE that I took last summer.

I have been working for nearly two years with a large construction/engineering firm (and have worked on a dozen projects all over the country) before I was layed off last month and have since started my own renovation company. I'm not sure how to put a positive spin on that.

What are my chances of getting into Louisiana State's MBA program in Baton Rouge? Should I retake the GMAT and hope for the best?

I am currently in the process of applying, and I'm worried that with the increased interest in graduate school, I will have no chance of getting in.

Thanks,

Jess