Definitely did not beat it! 560 :(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Definitely did not beat it! 560 :(

by saranav » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:00 am
So after a few months of solid studying and completing the Princeton Review prep course, I ended up scoring a disappointing 560 (Q39, V28). It's my verbal score that killed me...which is so bizarre because I was scoring 35-38 on verbal in my practice tests.

Anyhow, I have to put this behind me! I am re-writing on April 3rd (I have no choice, otherwise I will miss application deadlines). What I'm hoping to get some advice on is how I should tackle the studying right now. I used the official guide before and the Princeton Review material. Should I just be doing practice tests? Or just practice questions? I have read some reviews on gmatfix.com and the tools they offer. Anybody use them before?

I really want to do well this time around (at LEAST a 650), but I'm having trouble coming up with plan of attack, and am honesty a bit discouraged. I would appreciate any tips here. I know I'm capable of a better score!

Thanks in advance!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by clinter04 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 am
I would for sure do as many practice tests as possible. My biggest weakness was endurance and stamina. I took at least one practice test a day for two weeks before I scored my 650. I'm not the highest scorer around, but I had a huge improvement. My first practice test was 480. I would look at manhattan gmat (one free practice test) 800scoregmat.com and mba.com for some good practice tests for free. Most give you the option to look at what you did wrong and an explanation. REVIEW every single problem wrong and understand how to get the answer. These steps will likely have much bigger impact on your improvement that doing endless problems out of the OG or other books. BEST OF LUCK!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by NethraN » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:49 am
Along with improving your verbal score if you a improve a little in quant am sure you can reach your target score.

If you are aware of the things that are tested and lack only in timing then it makes sense to take as many practice tests as you can. But make sure you are aware of the concepts.

Try Manhattan SC book to imporve your SC skills. Take some other math book if you feel OG was not enough for your quant preparation. Make the most of the time you have before you sit for the test again.

Good luck!
Nethra