Kelley online versus Fisher part-time

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Kelley online versus Fisher part-time

by goncaljj » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:17 am
Hi,

I'm currently struggling with these two options, which have been awarded to me. I must decide within a few weeks, and my concern is still the stigma that online programs receive from recruiters even if they come from top schools.

Kelley online:

Pros: better ranked than Fisher
Cons: online

Fisher:

Opposite to the above.

I have evaluated all the information I can that's available (like networking, sense of belonging, more interactions with professors and fellow classmates, college spirit); what is not available, though, is what the recruiters think about distance programs. So, strictly from the perspective of changing careers or looking for new employers, but not staying in the current one, which of these two options will make me say in the future that it was worth the 50K I'll spend from my pocket?

Thanks much for the replies.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by billscafan » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:41 am
Hands down go to Fisher.

Columbus is actually a cool town with a young population.

Fisher also has really nice facilities and a stellar career services. Also depends on what you wan to study. Fisher's has very good operations, supply management, accounting and finance concentrations.

Distance learning MBA's are not worth it in my opinion, but good luck with whatever you decide.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:32 am
Dear goncaljj,

Congratulations on your admission to both programs! I think your decision comes down to what you are wanting in terms of a student experience. There are definite advantages to both programs; however, there is a big difference in terms of what your experience will be like as a student in an online program versus a campus-based program. If you value the opportunity to know your classmates and build a new network of people, then the campus-based program is the better choice. Likewise, if you want access to resources like the career center or other programs in the business school, then the campus-based program is the better choice. Contrastingly, if you value the flexibility, then the online program is the better option. Both schools will give you a solid education in terms of learning and both have a good reputation in the midwest, so it really comes down to what your expectations are as a student.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me