680 (Q45/ V38) – My story

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:680

680 (Q45/ V38) – My story

by Woerseman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:51 am
Hi guys,
My name is Stefan and I am a 22 yrs. old guy from Germany.
I took the GMAT yesterday after 2 months of preparation time and scored 680 points (86%).

I will receive my bachelor of business administration in September and would like to apply for a Master program at Rotterdam (NL). As I made this decision a few months ago, I saw in the application requirements a mandatory GMAT score of 600. At this time, I had not heard of GMAT before and gathered some information. After that, I realized that this test seemed to be a real beast and I was not sure if I could beat it.
I start my preparation with the OG 11 which I borrowed from a colleague. I soon realized that the GMAT is really no magic and can be beaten. Sure, it contains really tricky stuff, but if you remind yourself that you can adopt all these math concepts, which are used in the test, without being a math genius, you can successfully pass the math section. Verbal, did not really frighten me, although I am not a native speaker. But after the first weeks of practice, I realized that I make many, many mistakes in SC, what really bothered me. So, I concentrated on SC through the next days, weeks of preparation.

After four weeks of preparation (ca. 1-2h per day) I tried the free Manhattan practice test and scored 650 (43/36) what made me quite happy because I did not believe that I could score above 600 at this time. Nevertheless, reviewing the results gave me the expression that almost all of the 700-800 questions were wrong answered… So I thought to concentrate on the really hard questions and bought the Kaplan 800 book, which helped me to adopt some new concepts.

After three more weeks, I tried the GMATprep software and I was really nervous, because I had heard that this tool is the most accurate simulation of the real thing. I scored on Prep1 700 (46/40) and 710 (47/41) on Test 2 and I was just overwhelmed and really, really confident for the real test. At this time, I set the goal to achieve 7xx points, what was so much higher than I had expected me to achieve a few weeks before.

Like I told you before, I scored yesterday 680 (45/38), a score which is really satisfying to me, although I did not reach the 700 mark. I was not really nervous because I knew that I would cross the 600 barrier, which I needed for my master application. Quantitative was ok, I had two minutes left for the last question, so quite perfect timing. However, I had to guess on two or three questions, because they required some concepts which I apparently had not learned.
In my opinion the verbal part was trickier than GMAT prep, especially some CR questions and in my opinion, this ruined a score above 700. AWA was ok, I think.

To put in a nutshell, I am so happy that I have successfully done the beast, although not scoring as high as in the prep tests. If someone had told me two months ago, that I would score 680 I would have been delighted. So I will not bemoan the fact that I did not reach 7xx.
Ah, in addition I like to tell everybody, that this is such an awesome discussion forum. I came across this community a few weeks ago. Your stories really gave me encouragement, hope and the nice feeling not to be the only one who suffers from hard GMAT preparation. ;-)

Best regards,
Stefan

Re: 680 (Q45/ V38) – My story

by zoom4eva » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:25 am
thanks for sharing us you success story it is my first day with this forum also it is my first day in studying the GMAT , I've just bought the GMAT preparation book yesterday i am really afraid because i have only one month to study i will take the test in April , i must score more than 600 i am sure that i will not be easy specially with the Verbal section (i am not native English) , but I can say that your post gave me the hope , and erased some of my fears (sure not all of them) , thank you again and tell me if one month with comprehensive study is enough for preparation for the test ?........ i hope it will work

GMAT Score:680

by Woerseman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am
Hi,

in order to know where you stand right now and what are your weaknesses, I strongly recommend to do a practise CAT. Just create an account at mba.com and download the Gmat prep software which is an accurate simulation of the real test.

Moreover, I am sure that you can excel the 600 barrier with one month preparation, although it surely depends from where you start - therefore do the practise test.
After that, you are able to focus on your problematic areas and you might should purchase some specific literature, e.g. some Verbal Guide.

But in my opinion, more important than the quantity of study material is the quality of your training methods. Ideally, you can create a training plan, which you can use for planning your training steps throughout the next month and for tracking your progress.

I wish you all the best!

Stefan