740 but 2.75 GPA...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

740 but 2.75 GPA...

by DGblkbelt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:32 am
Can anyone help me with an evaluation?

GMAT: 740, taken once

GPA: 2.75 from Cornell, but my last two semesters were 3.56 and 3.76 with above average courseloads and while working part-time. Prior to those semesters, I struggled with clinical depression, took two years off, and came back to finish strong those last two semesters.

Work Experience: 3 years teaching test prep and English in Bangkok, Thailand.

Other: Advanced fluency in written/spoken Thai acheived through intensive study while living here in Bangkok.

MBA Goals and Career Plan: non-profit/NGO management and economic development related work in Southeast Asia.

I just submitted my application to Fletcher's MIB program. I think I'm a good fit but its very competitive. I want to be in Boston and am considering the last rounds for HBS, BU, BC, and as a backup, Hult. I am also considering Columbia and Stern as I could also be in NY.

Am I wasting my time with HBS, Columbia, and Stern?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm
Hi,

As you probably know, most schools have an 'optional essay' which asks for any information not presented in the main essays. This is a great space to discuss any weakness in your application (i.e. gaps in employment, low grades/GMAT, etc). In your case, I would strongly urge you to discuss your college grades - and if you feel comfortable - explaining why you took two years off (you can just say for health reasons).

It will be very difficult to get admissions into a top 15 MBA program in R3. If you have your heart set on attending a higher ranked school, then you might want to wait and apply next year (if possible)

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by DGblkbelt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:17 am
Thanks for the advice. I wrote such an "optional" essay for my Fletcher application and definitely will do so for any other applications.

Fortunately Columbia, BC, and Hult have R3 deadlines after I learn the results of my Fletcher application, but Harvard, BU, and Stern have March 15th deadlines which are a bit daunting given that Fletcher is my first choice and I'm extremely busy with work at the moment. I think I'll drop Stern at least because I much prefer to be in Boston.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm
Best of luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep