Movie money

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Movie money

by orel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 am
Studio executives carefully examine how a film performs on its opening weekend in order to determine whether - and how - to invest more in that film. Many decisions, such as increasing the number of screens that show the film and expanding the marketing campaign, are best made after reaction ca be gathered from audience who actually purchased tickets. Therefore, to maximize returns on their marketing investments, studios should initially release all their films on a small number of screens and with a limited advertising campaign.

The plan to maximize returns by initially releasing films on only a small number of screens and limiting advertising depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) Large marketing investments made before the opening weekend never eventually yield greater profits than small initial marketing investments.

B) New advertising technique such as web-based viral marketing, haven't substantially reduced the average marketing cost for films.

C) A film's prior performance in noncommercial settings, such as festivals, is not well correlated with how the general public tends to react to than film.

D) Across the movie industry, marketing investments do not influence the eventual financial returns of films in predictable way.

E) How a film performs during its opening weekend is a strong indicator of the film's financial performance over its lifetime.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:52 am
I would go with E since its more closely related to the argument and if u negate it the plan falls apart.

How a film performs during its opening weekend is NOT a strong indicator of the film's financial performance over its lifetime.

This means there is no reason to eomploy small number of screens and with a limited advertising campaign initally and then expland to more screens and more marketing campaigns.

Regards,
CR

GMAT Score:620

by bmlaud » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:27 am
I go with option E too

Explanation: same as above, agree with cramya.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by scoobydooby » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 am
D?
The issue is to whether to invest more depending on initial performance

A. Irrelevant. Increase in profitabillity is out of scope.

B. Out of scope

C. Out of scope

D. Correct, it removes the reversal of causality. Returns determine further investment, not the other way round. D removes this.

E. Film's performance over its lifetime is out of scope.

GMAT Score:660

by orel » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:57 am
OA is A

by deepoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am
Feruza Matyakubova wrote:OA is A
Ahuh I thought so I was hesitating between A and E. The answer is in this sentence:

Many decisions, such as increasing the number of screens that show the film and expanding the marketing campaign, are best made after reaction ca be gathered from audience who actually purchased tickets.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by Nabil-Tun » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:51 pm
I think the question is about an assumption that based upon, the company could maximize its ROI. So, Its is more likely that the answer will look like a precedent finding, which is " In the movie industry, investment failed in predicting the influence of financial return" and therefore studios should initially release all their films on a small number of screens and with a limited advertising campaign
Response D is True

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by lijupillai » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:03 pm
I will go with choice A.

1. Profit is not out of scope because "Therefore, to maximize returns " means profit
2. Note the strong usage "studios should initially release all their films " which indicates its the only way. What if the method of "big opening" can provide similar ROI as a small opening?

Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:49 pm
I just went over this in MGMAT CR yesterday and fell for (E). It's still not 100% clear to me why this is.
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
I received a PM asking me to weigh in on this one.

This is a tough one (700+). Careful about the order in which you analyze what's going on.

Execs use 1st wknd to figure out how to invest more. Decisions best made after 1st wknd (eg, # of screens, mrktng).
THUS: to max. profits, studios should release ALL films on small # screens w/ limited ads.

What assump used to justify conclusion? (This is key - you are trying to justify this specific conclusion - nothing else.)

In simpler terms: this author claims that a particular plan will maximize profits. What MUST he assume when making this claim?

I'll address A, D, and E, as those answers seem to be the debated ones above.

A) If I think that max. profits = small # of screens and limited ads, then I also think that any other way of doing this is NOT the way to maximize profits. So, I would believe that a large # of screens won't ever maximize profits, and I would also believe that having lots of advertising won't ever maximize profits. (Kind of bad assumptions, huh?) And that's basically what this choice says - spending a lot upfront is never going to be better than the way I claim is the best way to maximize profits: with limited spending upfront.

D) This may be true. But does it answer the question? The specific question is what the author assumes MUST be true in drawing the conclusion that his plan is the best way to maximize profits. If the author assumes that you can't predict anything via marketing investments, then how can he conclude that a certain way of making those investments will lead to maximum profits? Rather, he'd have to conclude that there is no "best" plan for maximizing profits via marketing investments.

E) This may also be true. The particular issue at hand is what this author believes MUST be true in order to validate his plan to maximize profits. We have to think from the point of view of the author's plan. Could it be the case that the author's plan results in a strong opening weekend and strong results for weeks after? Sure. Could it be the case that the author's plan results in a strong opening weekend, but weaker results over the length of the film? Sure. What about a weaker opening weekend with stronger results over the length of the film? Any of these could work - the author's plan doesn't say WHEN the most profits will come. Just that this plan will result in the maximum profits over the entire length of the film.

And note, by the way, that the author thinks his plan is the way things always should be done to maximize profits, no matter what. Even if E is true, that doesn't lead us to the conclusion that we must use the author's plan for any movie. Go look at A again. A does support that extreme thinking, because A says that if you make a larger marketing investment, you'll never make more than if you start small, as the author's plan advocates.

Notice something interesting by the way. Both D and E sound like they could reasonably be true in the real world. Answer A doesn't sound like it could reasonably be true. Yet A is the right answer. That's because this author doesn't make a very good argument; his argument is seriously flawed. But because he draws an extreme conclusion, some of his assumptions (including the correct answer here) demonstrate similarly extreme (and flawed) thinking.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:720

by mjjking » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:21 am
this is surely a though one. I went for A, but was undecided between 3 choices. The answer to these kind of question, IMO, is found by reading thoroughly through the question and in understanding well what the question asks. Look for information out of scope in the answers, that is very important! NEVER assume anything, it won't be stressed out enough.
Beat The GMAT - 1st priority
Enter a top MBA program - 2nd priority
Loving my wife: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL!

REAL THING 1 (AUG 2007): 680 (Q43, V40)
REAL THING 2 (APR 2009): 720 (Q47, V41)

Re: Movie money

by dtweah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 am
Feruza Matyakubova wrote:Studio executives carefully examine how a film performs on its opening weekend in order to determine whether - and how - to invest more in that film. Many decisions, such as increasing the number of screens that show the film and expanding the marketing campaign, are best made after reaction ca be gathered from audience who actually purchased tickets. Therefore, to maximize returns on their marketing investments, studios should initially release all their films on a small number of screens and with a limited advertising campaign.

The plan to maximize returns by initially releasing films on only a small number of screens and limiting advertising depends on which of the following assumptions?

A) Large marketing investments made before the opening weekend never eventually yield greater profits than small initial marketing investments.

B) New advertising technique such as web-based viral marketing, haven't substantially reduced the average marketing cost for films.

C) A film's prior performance in noncommercial settings, such as festivals, is not well correlated with how the general public tends to react to than film.

D) Across the movie industry, marketing investments do not influence the eventual financial returns of films in predictable way.

E) How a film performs during its opening weekend is a strong indicator of the film's financial performance over its lifetime.
The way to see that the correct asnwer is D is to contradict D. If marketing investments influence financial returns, why would execs want to guage audience reaction before increasing investment? This means the relationship between Investment and Returns is not linear and that which is not linear is not easily predictable. The audience accounts for the gap in execs inability to predict in this case.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:48 am
Stacey Koprince wrote:I received a PM asking me to weigh in on this one.
E) This may also be true. The particular issue at hand is what this author believes MUST be true in order to validate his plan to maximize profits. We have to think from the point of view of the author's plan. Could it be the case that the author's plan results in a strong opening weekend and strong results for weeks after? Sure. Could it be the case that the author's plan results in a strong opening weekend, but weaker results over the length of the film? Sure. What about a weaker opening weekend with stronger results over the length of the film? Any of these could work - the author's plan doesn't say WHEN the most profits will come. Just that this plan will result in the maximum profits over the entire length of the film.

And note, by the way, that the author thinks his plan is the way things always should be done to maximize profits, no matter what. Even if E is true, that doesn't lead us to the conclusion that we must use the author's plan for any movie. Go look at A again. A does support that extreme thinking, because A says that if you make a larger marketing investment, you'll never make more than if you start small, as the author's plan advocates.
stacey,

doesn't the colored part above goes against the author's conclusion. If weekend sales is NOT a strong indicator of lifetime performance, then there is no point in adjusting one's marketing investing according to weekend performance.

Also, negation of E makes the conclusion fall apart.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)