HELP : Hard Question!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

HELP : Hard Question!

by KevinTheGMAT » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:53 pm
“But I don’t have time for school”, Eddie complained to the truant officer.
“I sleep 8 hours a day, which adds up to 122 days a year, there is no school on Saturdays and Sundays, which amounts to 104 days a year. We have 60 days of summer vacation. I need three hours a day for meals – that is more than 45 days a year. And I need at least two hours of recreation, which amounts up to 30 days a year. This totals 361 days. This leaves only 4 sick days, and that doesn’t even take into account the 7 school holidays. So, I have no time for school.” The truant officer scratched his head and looked baffled. What is wrong here?
Party like a math geek!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by downtownblue » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:53 pm
Eddie has it great that he doesn't have to sleep, play or eat during weekends, vacations and sick days!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:700

Re: HELP : Hard Question!

by Uri » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:41 pm
KevinTheGMAT wrote:“But I don’t have time for school”, Eddie complained to the truant officer.
“I sleep 8 hours a day, which adds up to 122 days a year, there is no school on Saturdays and Sundays, which amounts to 104 days a year. We have 60 days of summer vacation. I need three hours a day for meals – that is more than 45 days a year. And I need at least two hours of recreation, which amounts up to 30 days a year. This totals 361 days. This leaves only 4 sick days, and that doesn’t even take into account the 7 school holidays. So, I have no time for school.” The truant officer scratched his head and looked baffled. What is wrong here?

KevinTheGMAT, it does not look like a GMAT RC problem. it's joke which has been forwarded many times by friends of many e-mail users.

any way, there is serious logical flaw in the argument. the student counts overlapping time periods. that inflates the total amount of time. for example, the time for recreation is counted seperately as well as during the weekends. again weekends are counted seperately as well as during the summer vacations. and it has happened almost in all instances.