Is Columbia hard to get in?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Is Columbia hard to get in?

by doctortt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 pm
Can someone tell me whether Columbia Business School is hard to get in?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by billscafan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:16 pm
in one word, yes!

What are your credentials?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by doctortt » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 pm
Thanks. Well, I'm in the process of working on my GMAT, and I know I need to get at least 720+. Having a high GMAT score doesn't guarantee you will get into Columbia. I know it also has to do with your background, future goals and etc. For some reasons, Columbia is my only choice, and I will not consider others. Perhaps, I got influenced by a very close relative. I really want to find out what kind of candidates they will or will not accept, so I can better prepare myself.

Here is some info of myself:
I live in New York City, so hopefully being a local will score a point! I have six years experience in the I.T. industry. I'm currently working for an investment company as a messaging engineer. My major responsbility is to design, manage and maintain a mission critical email system that contains over 1000 users. In addition, I'm also responsible of all other electronic messaging related systems, such as Blackberry Enterprise Server, enterprise email archiving, email hygiene/security and a lot more. Although I did not attend to an ivy league college for my undergraduate degree, I got a 3.58 GPA from one of the city colleges in NYC. My future goal is to manage a business. My family has a business for many years. When my father retires, I will take over the responsbility of overseeing the business and continuing to expand it. Since I have always been the *technical* guy, I'm lack of business skill and knowledge, and I know the MBA will bring me to a higher level.

With so many candidates applying every year, I hoping that Columbia will be interested in my profile, but who knows? What I mean by hard to get in is whether Columbia has high requirements.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by billscafan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:14 pm
Columbia is a top 10 school.

The requirements are very much on par with the other top schools in the country. Here is a link you might be interested in, check it out:
https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/about/facts/studentbody

Also, you might also consider NYU Stern. Stern is an excellent school, and while it doesn't have the reputation Columbia has in other parts of the country and the world, if you are looking to stay in the New York (New England Area), I think Stern will get you as far as Columbia will, but thats just my opinion.
https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... doc_id=395