question 2

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

question 2

by MichelleW1982 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 am
Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jeevan.Gk » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:00 am
IMO D buddy >>

Simple parallelism reason.. Indicate that ... x ..... and that ... Y

Re: question 2

by piyush_nitt » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:07 am
MichelleW1982 wrote:Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing

We don't need past perfect tense here

B and E Out

Wrong usage of which - D out

A and C looks similiar to me . But 'based on' is correct idiom ...

IMO A

by jeevan.Gk » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 am
Oa pls buddy ...soon :roll:

by deepoe » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am
I would say C?

GMAT Score:620

by bmlaud » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:56 am
piyush_nitt wrote:
MichelleW1982 wrote:Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress a statue of the goddess Athena and that this robe depicted scenes of a battle between Zeus, Athena's father, and giants.

B and E Out

IMO A

I go with option D

I have a doubt in option A, I don't understand " Based on Records from ancient Athens" is modifying what ??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MichelleW1982 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:43 am
Answer is D.

sorry for the late response. Thanks!

Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:25 am
Records indicate that women collaborated to weave a robe AND THAT this robe depicted scenes of battle.

As noted above, THAT must be used to keep both clauses parallel.
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by skyline77 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:55 am
bmlaud wrote:
piyush_nitt wrote:

B and E Out

IMO A

I go with option D

I have a doubt in option A, I don't understand " Based on Records from ancient Athens" is modifying what ??
Hi,

Like to check whether i am correct.

For option A, B and C, the modifier phase is wrongly modified "each year". It should be a subject/noun.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by WannaBThere » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:32 am
IMO D !!

(A) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress (Phrase incorrectly modifies "each year..")
(B) Based on records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which to dress (Phrase incorrectly modifies "each year..")
(C) According to records from ancient Athens, each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe that they used to dress (Phrase incorrectly modifies "each year..")
(D) Records from ancient Athens indicate that each year young Athenian women collaborated to weave a new woolen robe with which they dressed (Correct!! Parallel construction "Records..indicate that each..and that..")
(E) Records from ancient Athens indicate each year young Athenian women had collaborated to weave a new woolen robe for dressing ("Needless "had")