How long does it take to prepare for GMAT?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How long does it take to prepare for GMAT?

by mehrshad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:50 pm
I am planning to prepare for GMAT exam. As I have never experienced taking this test,could anyone tell me how long does it take to prepare to get around 600 on GMAT? Supposing that my knowledge of English can be evaluated by scoring 600 on TOEFL PBT.thanks a lot.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by Jen Kedro » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:33 pm
Hi there,

Most of our students prepare for about 2-3 months, part-time. I would say a rough average is 1-2 hours/day, 4-6 days/week during that time, with some variation, and often some longer hours on the weekends to take full-length practice tests.

A lot of what YOU need to prepare depends upon your starting point, so I recommend taking a practice test soon to see where you are starting and what your strengths and weaknesses are. Those who are very rusty on high-school level math (such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry) will need to put in more work than those who are very up to speed on those skills, for example.

Good luck!
Jen Kedrowski
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
GMAT Teacher
MBA Admissions Consultant
National Product Team Member

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mehrshad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:39 pm
Hi Jen Kedro,

Thanks for your note about required time to get ready for the test.I will be very thankful if you tell what kind of books exactly to study for the test to get the best result .As I am living in IRAN ,I have no access to the preparation classes or online courses.So i would to know the best study guide for the GMAT.I am looking forward to hear from you as sson as possible.
Regards,
M.Asgari