Test is on Monday!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Test is on Monday!

by unctp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:27 pm
Only three study days left! Some of you have been very helpful, and I am appreciative of the spirit of this online community. Thanks again.

I've been preparing since November and am definitely getting emotionally tired of the process. I guess 200+ hours of study will do that.

My question to all of you is, how should I use the next three days? I'm scoring in the 660-690 range (45, 44, and 43 quant and 40, 35, and 39 verbal) on GMATPrep and obviously want to squeeze in more if possible. I've reworked a timing strategy, thanks to a moderator here, so now I just need reps.

Any helpful ideas? I know that I need to review the writing sections briefly, but what is the best bang for my buck prep wise on the quant and verbal sections, without getting more tired? I hope that I didn't "peak" last week!

Thanks again for the support

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:37 pm
My suggestion for your final three days is the wind down your prep significantly. It may be a good idea to take a final GMATPrep in the next day or two, and after that review some of the concepts and notes you've taken about the GMAT over the course of your study.

The day or two before your exam, I recommend you do NOTHING! Just relax--go see a movie, get tons of sleep, and enjoy life. At this point you've pretty much saturated your mind with GMAT knowledge, so any further serious prep would barely have incremental benefit (maybe detrimental in tiring you out).

Good luck and please let us know how it goes!

Eric
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 pm
I agree completely with the above post - great tips! It's definitely a good idea to de-stress before the test, and essentially "cramming" for a test like the GMAT rarely works.

In addition, I always advise my students to keep their routines the day of the test - for example, if you usually sleep until noon, don't wake up at 6 AM to get more studying in, or if you usually don't eat breakfast, don't eat a humongous one to try to get your energy level up.

Keeping yourself relaxed before the test is key; this minimizes anxiety level and makes you less likely to crack under pressure (if this is an issue for you).

Good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by unctp » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm
well, didnt do so well

42 quant and 40 verbal. Had to pull off a good verbal to save my score. I have no idea what happened with the quant, I felt great, but just never got any difficult questions. I checked my answers too, not sure if I could have made THAT many careless mistakes. Is it possible that I just never went on a "run" and got 4-5 correct in a row?

My lowest quant score only salvaged by a good verbal.

Is this range going to be a problem for admissions? The verbal was 89% and quant 63%? Is this the "unbalanced" that people fret over?

Hope you all are well. Beers for me tonight, applications tomorrow to schools in Europe!

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:55 pm
Well done!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"