Please evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please evaluate my profile

by carlg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:36 pm
I'm trying to get into Villanova. I was at an open house and they say their average GMAT is 610, but their website says it is 590.

Here is my profile:

First 2 years of college, I went to community college. I did horrible (probably somewhere in the 2.0-2.9 range)

I then smartened up and went to 4 year private school to finish up. Achieved overall 3.6 from there over 2 years. Even won some awards for my program.

I have 10 years working experience as a software developer. My work history is pristine and can get perfect feedback from any job that I held. I even won multiple awards at one of my jobs (employee of the year type of things,etc.)

Now, here's the bad part. Took the gmat last week and got 530 with a 5 out of 6 on the AWA (I am 35 yrs old and out of school for 10 yrs)

So do you think my stellar work experience and great junior/senior years in undergrad can get me into Villanova?

Thanks for the info!!

Carl

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:37 pm
Dear Carl,

I think it is possible you could be admitted to Villanova with a 530, assuming you turn in a compelling, strong application. While your GMAT is below the average, is it within the mid-80% range? If so, then you have a little bit better chance than if it is outside. Since you do have over 10 years experience and your GPA in the last two years is strong, those two aspects will help to mitigate the GMAT. If you have time and you think you can improve your score, you might consider taking the test again as the closer you are to the average, the more competitive you will be.

Your essays, recommendations, and interview will be critical to achieve a positive decision, so be sure to put in the effort to make your case for admission. I would also recommend developing a relationship with someone in the admissions office now; by the time your application is being evaluated, you should then be seen as more than a paper file which should also help your case.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by carlg » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:37 pm
Thanks for replying!!

I am working on my application now!

Carl