Profile Evaluation Please

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please

by venusgarg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:49 pm
I want to apply for Haas and Stanford business school fall' 09. Can you please advice if have any chance. I already have acceptance from SCU (Leavey school of business) but i want to invest my time and money, so i wanted to get this advice from you. Please advice

I have BS in Computer Science and Engineering from India with GPA of 4.0(US evaluation) and MS in Electrical engineering from San Jose State University with GPA of 3.7. My GMAT is just 570 (Q48;V22).
I have 44 months of work experience in Electrical engineering, lot of quant work and interaction with people. With usual work i organized and managed many teams. I am always involved with extra curricular activities as below:

1. IEEE secretary during all of my school time
2. Wrote editorial for local regional new papers
3. Organized and Managed many regional events in bay area
4. Very active in sports
5. Organized one club during my school and now has around 30 members

I want to get into technical marketing because all my experience is in Tech and also i have BS and MS in Engineering.

What do you think of my chances for these schools.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:22 pm
venusgarg,

Thanks for your note. Based on your post, you seem to have solid academics, work experience and activities. However, I am worried that your current 570 gmat score is not competitive at top schools like Haas and Stanford. Meaning, I would not apply to these schools with a 570 as your top GMAT score. Instead, you will need to raise your GMAT score above 700 to be competitive at these top schools.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by venusgarg » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:54 pm
Thanks for evaluation

I am asking this because i have gone through lots of posts saying good schools won't look just at your GMAT or GPA alone but your whole personality.

what do you think.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm
venusgarg,

I agree that schools will evaluate you based on a range of variables: grades, test scores, work experience, activities, career goals, essays, rec letters, and interviews, among other criteria. In addition, you don't have to be perfect in every area in order to be a competitive candidate. For example, someone with a GMAT score as low as 660 can still be competitive at top schools as long as everything else is very strong. (Of course, it is much better to apply to a top school with a 700+ GMAT score).

Having said this, it is very hard to gain admission to top business schools with a sub 660 GMAT score, even with a strong all around profile. The reason is that the top schools have so many applicants who are very strong in so many areas that the schools don't have to compromise their standards much in order to fill their class.

Essentially, I agree that you have several strengths to your candidacy. However, I am worried that a 570 GMAT is just too low to be competitive. You will need to raise your GMAT score to at least the upper 600s, ideally 700+, in order to address the key weakness in your candidacy.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.