Evaluation

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Evaluation

by Great » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:25 am
Hi ,

> I am an Canadian MBA aspirant( UBC Sauder)

> Did B.E. From top10 in India
> G.p.a.- 3.2/4
> Work ex--4 years by the time i join, 2 Years in Operations ,2 Years in Corporate Finance(will be applying this year)
> working as AST.Manager(M&A) (in a big MNC )
> Extra-curicullar--Decent
> Gmat took twice -600
fiirst time-540 (quant 42,verbal 22)
Second Time--600(Quant 40,verbal 33)

My score is very close to the median of my target school and i know this school is not in Top 50- 60 but I want to apply as it fit in my goals,what are my chances of admission at UBC Sauder MBA.

Looking forward to your response.

> Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am
Dear Great,

Thanks for your post!

You've offered only the very basic information about your profile, so it is difficult for me to make a definitive assessment, but I will do my best.

Your ugrad profile sounds competitive, albeit somewhat common in the applicant pool (engineering degree from India).

Your work experience sounds promising, although I'd need to know more about the transition you made from operations to corporate finance. Was this all with the same company? How does this relate to your career goals/the trajectory you are currently following?

I cannot make a judgment on your outside activities/hobbies/community service, since "decent" isn't much of a description. I will take your word for it and assume that this area is not a liability...

Your GMAT score seems low to me. There are three reasons for this:

1) The UBC Sauder MBA program has an average of 630 for their full-time program.

2) You fall into a group that is likely to be over-represented in the applicant pool (Indian, male, engineering undergrad), which may make it harder for you to get in (and therefore increase the emphasis on the GMAT).

3) Your quantitative score on the most recent exam (40) represents somewhere around the 60th percentile. This strikes me as odd for an engineer, and it may be of concern to the Sauder admissions committee. Your verbal result (closer to the 70th percentile) seems more reasonable.

Given that you added 60 points to your score after one sitting, you may want to consider some further work on the quantitative section, followed by a third sitting of the test. If you could boost your quant score up into the 70th-80th percentile range, you would be in much better shape.

Does there exist the possibility that you will make the cut at Sauder without retaking the test? Of course. Will it be more difficult to get in with a 600 GMAT and weak quant. score? Yes.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Great » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:21 am
Hi Graham,

Thanks! for the detailed reply, it's really hepful...

Cheers,

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:05 am
My pleasure!

-Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.