OG book ??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

OG book ??

by Lilie83 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:29 am
Hi,

I am a French student who is actually working on the GMAT! I need to take the GMAT not for an MBA but just for a simple master.

I am required to get a minimum of 500 but as a non-english speaker, it seems so hard to me ! :cry:

Anyway ! I take classes at Kaplan center and I find the CAT super hard ! Do they really reflect the GMAT questions?

However I read on this forum that everybody was working on the OG Book. What is it? could somebody give me more information so I will be able to buy it on the Internet.

Thx so much and ... goood luck in your preparation ;)

Lilie :lol:

by smd13 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:02 am
The OG is the Official Guide for GMAT Review, published by the people who make the test and with real questions from old tests. You can buy it at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097657 ... 54?ie=UTF8

thx

by Lilie83 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:21 am
Thank you so much for your answer ! I have just bought it on amazone :D

Do you think this is the best book to practice GMAT questions ?

I have bought the three books: yellow, purple and ... green I guess ! I hope that they will be more useful than the Kaplan ones ! :cry:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: thx

by beatthegmat » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:53 am
Lilie83 wrote:Thank you so much for your answer ! I have just bought it on amazone :D

Do you think this is the best book to practice GMAT questions ?

I have bought the three books: yellow, purple and ... green I guess ! I hope that they will be more useful than the Kaplan ones ! :cry:
Hi Lilie83:

OG is definitely the best book to practice GMAT questions. It features actual but retired GMAT questions, and will provide you an excellent preview of the kinds of questions you will encounter on your test.

With regards to Kaplan's materials--in general, their questions are more difficult (and more poorly written) then the questions you would expect to see on the actual GMAT. They are good practice, but keep in mind that they do not reflect the real GMAT perfectly.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 am
dear lilie,
adding to what eric's said, u also mentioned that u find kap.CAT super-hard!
yes u r right. KAP really has confidence shattering tests. dont count on them. OG 3 books r just fine. (or may be more than enough)

by Lilie83 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:17 am
Thanks for your answer !

I have also downloaded from this websites many histories of people who got 700 +.

They all agree that KAPLAN is far more difficult than the actual GMAT and is not representative of the real GMAT. :cry:

When you took the GMAT, what was your first feelings ? did you think that it was close to OG, or different from every book you bought ?

Again, thanks so much for your answer ! this website is soooo usefl !! :wink:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:25 am
Lilie83 wrote:Thanks for your answer !

I have also downloaded from this websites many histories of people who got 700 +.

They all agree that KAPLAN is far more difficult than the actual GMAT and is not representative of the real GMAT. :cry:

When you took the GMAT, what was your first feelings ? did you think that it was close to OG, or different from every book you bought ?

Again, thanks so much for your answer ! this website is soooo usefl !! :wink:
Hi Lilie83:

I'm glad you find this website useful. :D

When I took the GMAT last year, I found the real test to be pretty similar to the problems I saw in OG--maybe just slightly harder.

I would recommend that you take a GMATPrep test. You can download this software for free from MBA.com. This practice test is the most accurate indicator of your real GMAT performance because it features actual (but retired) GMAT questions.

There are two practice tests in GMATPrep. I suggest taking one at the beginning of your prep (now), and one at the end of your prep to guage your improvement.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by Lilie83 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:56 pm
Oki doki !! thank you so much for your answer !!

I spent 3 hours yesterday night on reading some posts on the websites and it is very enrichising !! I feel far more confident right now and I am going to dl theses tests on mba.com !

Thank you

Cheers

Lilie from France :P