Is this true?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Is this true

by kats6990 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:35 am
Hi

I read an article on a website, forgot the link that a test taker who scores more on the verbal then on Quantative gets a higher score as compared to a test taker who scores high on Quant and low on verbal. Is this true?

And one more thing, does the GMAT actual test start from some score like 500 or does the score start from 0?

Kats

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Is this true

by beatthegmat » Fri May 25, 2007 3:57 pm
kats6990 wrote:Hi

I read an article on a website, forgot the link that a test taker who scores more on the verbal then on Quantative gets a higher score as compared to a test taker who scores high on Quant and low on verbal. Is this true?

And one more thing, does the GMAT actual test start from some score like 500 or does the score start from 0?

Kats
This appears to be the case. Your verbal performance tends to have more weight on your final GMAT score than your quant performance. My hypothesis is that this is because there are a lot more people in the world who are excellent in math than verbal, so the math score has become inflated...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri May 25, 2007 4:50 pm
Yes, the large number of international test-takers whose native language is not English inflates the math score and deflates the verbal score. The test is scored from 200-800 and the 50th percentile is about 530.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kats6990 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:15 pm
Thanx Eric and Stacey....what about the second part of my post. Does the GMAT score start from some base value like say 500 and goes up n down depending on the questions answered??

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri May 25, 2007 11:59 pm
Unfortunately, the algorithm is way too complicated for me to explain what truly happens in a post, but you can think of it as starting around 500. Technically, your score doesn't "start" at anything - but the first question is typically in the average range (which is around a 500).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat May 26, 2007 12:36 am
kats6990 wrote:Does the GMAT score start from some base value like say 500 and goes up n down depending on the questions answered??

It's a hypothetical model so I wont comment on that.
!sigh!
last night I posted two posts which disappeared ...
anyway...
I'd suggest to go to 'ASK MANHATTAN GMAT' section and dig the archives- find articles ''how GMAT score you '' by Kevin. U'll get your answers.