GMATPrep 760 score, questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMATPrep 760 score, questions

by harrays » Wed May 23, 2007 11:23 am
Hello all,
I took my GMATPrep test today as my real Test is in the next week. I scored 760. Quant 50 (5 incorrect). Verbal 42 (7 incorrect). I am not surprised to see Quant score because it has always been 50 or 51. However, I am surprised that I got 42 in Verbal. When I was doing Verbal section, I felt like I was making educated guesses than picking up the right answers, especially in SC. Some of them turned out to be right. RC, to my surprise, was easy to understand, analyze and attack. Also, I saw 2-3 questions, in CR, that are either the same or similar to the ones in OG.
My questions are:
1. Will educated guesses always work in favor of you?
2. Will RC on real GMAT reflect the complexity of RC in real? I got only one big passage, one medium passage, two small passages.
3. Did I get benefited from seeing similar/same CR questions that I already saw before in OG? Did any of you get "known" or "familiar" questions in GMATPrep exams?

Thanks in advance,
Hareesh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: GMATPrep 760 score, questions

by beatthegmat » Wed May 23, 2007 4:39 pm
harrays wrote:Hello all,
I took my GMATPrep test today as my real Test is in the next week. I scored 760. Quant 50 (5 incorrect). Verbal 42 (7 incorrect). I am not surprised to see Quant score because it has always been 50 or 51. However, I am surprised that I got 42 in Verbal. When I was doing Verbal section, I felt like I was making educated guesses than picking up the right answers, especially in SC. Some of them turned out to be right. RC, to my surprise, was easy to understand, analyze and attack. Also, I saw 2-3 questions, in CR, that are either the same or similar to the ones in OG.
My questions are:
1. Will educated guesses always work in favor of you?
2. Will RC on real GMAT reflect the complexity of RC in real? I got only one big passage, one medium passage, two small passages.
3. Did I get benefited from seeing similar/same CR questions that I already saw before in OG? Did any of you get "known" or "familiar" questions in GMATPrep exams?

Thanks in advance,
Hareesh
Let me try to address your questions:

1. Educated guesses won't always work in your favor, since they are guesses after all. But it seems like you have a good feel for the logic/question structure tested on the GMAT, so it's possible that your educated guesses are pretty darn good.
2. I'm not sure I understand this question, but the RC passages you see in GMATPrep should resemble what you see in the real teset.
3. It's possible that questions from OG overlapped with what was tested on GMATPrep--if that were the case, then your exam score might be skewed upward a little. That being said, it's certainly possible that the questions you see in OG show up on your real GMAT test in a very similar form--that was the case for me, and I was very pleased to encounter these kinds of questions...

I hope this helped, best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by harrays » Wed May 23, 2007 5:16 pm
Thank you Eric. You actually answered my questions.

Sorry my second question should have been Real vs. GMATPrep, not real vs. real :)

Hareesh

by harrays » Thu May 24, 2007 3:03 pm
Eric,
I took my second GMATPrep today, scored 730 (50 Math, 39 Verb). I am now relieved even though my score is lower because the score reflected what I thought it would be while I was doing the exam. However, again, I saw 2 known CR questions (I would have asnwered them correctly even if I hadn't known them before) from OG.

Thanks,
Hareesh
Last edited by harrays on Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Thu May 24, 2007 3:44 pm
Hareesh:

It sounds like you're a natural test taker. It's a nice gift! :)
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by new_gmat07 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:59 am
Hareesh-

How was the GMAT..? Did u find questions from the OG in the actual GMAT too..?