Profile Eval for 2009 Matriculation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval for 2009 Matriculation

by hjhj » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:01 pm
28 year old Korean American (will be 29 when applying fall 09)

GMAT:

College:
B.A. Economics 2007 - graduated in two and a half years
3.78 GPA (community college - 63 credits in 1 year (spring, summer, and fall semesters)
3.14 GPA (University of Michigan - 1.5 years. Worked 30+ hrs a week during my time here - not an excuse by any means, but working did adversely impact my grades.)

Work Experience:
Pre-college:
2 years in East Asia - 1 year teaching SATs and 1 year working in operational/strategic roles at private academies (SAT, AP subject exams, etc).
Post-college: (will have 3 total years by 09 MBA matriculation)
1 year at Accenture (operational consulting not IT implementation: business case, NPV analysis)
5 months (will have 2 years at matriculation) in an internal corporate strategy role at a company with midsized company - $500M annual revenue - (corporate growth strategy, metrics analysis, data driven analysis, financial modeling)

Extracurricular Activities:
Strategy engagement for nonprofit organization. Final deliverables and recommendations include 5 year growth strategy (new services, joint ventures and mergers), competitive intelligence, and industry research/benchmarking. Currently leading one of these work streams.

MBA schools:
I'm planning on applying to CBS, Stern, Hass, Darden, Kellogg, and Tuck.

Post-MBA plans:
Strategy consulting or corporate development/strategy at a large multinational company.

I've considered building an alternative transcript but wasn't sure if it was necessary. I thought about taking 1 or 2 corporate finance classes at berkeley extension or at a local university as I took all the various economics, statistics, and calculus classes as an econ undergrad (not sure if I should retake any of them).

One final thought - I'm thinking about taking another job soon, at a larger company, doing similar type work as I'm doing now but with more of a focus on marketing/sales strategy and corporate development, M&A. But I'm considered about the job hopping stigma.

Pros of taking the job - The new place offers a base salary that's around 50% more than I'm making now and I get a title upgrade (analyst to senior analyst). I'd also get closer interaction with senior executives.
Cons - can only really think of one. I'm concerned that I'd be viewed as a job hopper, hurting my MBA candidacy. If I leave and take this job, I'll only have 1 year at my first job, 5 months at my second, and 1 year and 7 months (at time of matriculation) at this third job. But I'm thinking the job hopping factor might be negated given current economic conditions.

I'd also consider working an additional year at this new job, so I'd have 2 years and 7 months (at time of matriculation) there and a total of 4 years post college experience at time of matriculation.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:12 pm
Based on the information in your post, you have a strong profile. You have demonstrated intellectual strength, career progression and community involvement. I do not think your decision to take on the new role of senior analyst will be viewed negatively since it provides you with greater responsibilities and opportunities. You can always address your decision in your optional b-school essays.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options