Usine "that" with an "ing" verb??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Usine "that" with an "ing" verb??

by malizadeh33 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:03 pm
Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vineyards in the Bordeaux region enough to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create unwanted moisture that can cause mold in some grape varieties and deterioration in others.

A. to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, create
B. to affect the overall size of the grapes themselves, and create
C. that the overall size of grapes themselves are affected, create
D. That it affects the overall size of the grapes themselves, creates
E. That the size of the grapes are affected and creates.

I narrowed my answer choice to B and E because I know the sentence need "and" in it.

The Princeton review states the correct answer is B. They state answer E is not correct, because to use "that" in the sentence would require the word "creating".

Does anyone know why if "that" is in the sentence we need to use "creating"? It just doesn’t make sense to me

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Bidisha800 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 pm
(B)
Drill baby drill !

GMATPowerPrep Test1= 740
GMATPowerPrep Test2= 760
Kaplan Diagnostic Test= 700
Kaplan Test1=600
Kalplan Test2=670
Kalplan Test3=570

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:13 am
I narrowed my answer choice to B and E because I know the sentence need "and" in it.

The Princeton review states the correct answer is B. They state answer E is not correct, because to use "that" in the sentence would require the word "creating".

Does anyone know why if "that" is in the sentence we need to use "creating"? It just doesn’t make sense to me

Thanks!
imo

if we use " that" then we need to use " creating but we cant use "and"..it would be like this..

Unseasonable weather in the months before a wine harvest can cool vineyards in the Bordeaux region enough That the size of the grapes are affected,creating unwanted moisture that can cause mold in some grape varieties and deterioration in others.

"creating" modifies the main clause.

anyone??

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dgr8onerip » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:47 am
i totally agree with raunekk
creating modifies the earlier part and makes better sense