online class

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

online class

by hudsn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:47 am
Hi I started my gmat prep over 2yrs ago, can build a library with the amt of books I own. Took a kaplan class, was just never "gettng it" was still scoring low 500"s in prep just never felt confident and put the books away.
Plus I feel like I need the structure and discipline of a class, but want to do the MGMAT online version.

I am tryng to apply to Univ of Florida online mba, I have a crappy gpa so obviously want to make up for that with a high as possible gmat.
i know the avg is i believe 610 or so so i would love to hit high 6"S maybe even 7. Im trying to be realistic and obviously dont expect an 800.

I am pretty good at math, EXCEPT for
My problem areas include ALOT:
geometry - just cant seem to get it
a lot of the verbal - esp. sc
also in math DS - i think i just have trouble grasping the concept

Sorry for such a long post
if someone from mgmat can answer my questions that would be great.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 am
Hi hudsn,

The good news is that the ManhattanGMAT Prep Course is a good fit for students who need to learn the content behind the exam and not just simple tips and tricks. This means that your weaknesses in Geometry, Data Sufficiency, and the verbal section will not only be addressed, but you will be given the necessary tools to further analyze and assess your various abilities on the exam.

What I'd recommend doing is get set up with an Online Trial Class. This free event is the first session of a 9-Session Course and will allow you see how our Instructors teach class sessions and what the general feeling of the course will be. Just visit our Online Free Event Page and sign up for the Trial Class that best fits your schedule.

Good luck studying! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hudsn » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:11 am
Thanks for the reply.
Also I am a student with disabilities so I may have some other concerns.
Also I started with another exam company and was avg high 4" low 5"s in preliminary exams, gave up never took the actual exam.
Obvviously Im hoping for as high of a score possible but I def need something in the mid high 6"s as I need to offset a low GPA.
I see that students average is in the high 6"s. Also should students do any prep before they started classes? What if you allready have the MGMAT books? you get a credit correct?
After the class ends should I be ready to take the exam or do most students need another month or so? Also like many others I want to get this outta the way hopefully in one shot. Do you know how many times most students take the exam?
Do you take a baseline exam before you start classes?
Im worried that many students may be ahead of me in verbal and such.
thanks for your help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:06 am
Hi Hudsn,

Our class is designed to help students who are testing at various levels on the exam, so I wouldn't worry about other students behind ahead or behind you in terms of understanding. What you should instead focus on is how you yourself can put in the time and effort to achieve your score goal. Going from a low 500s to a high 600s, while challenging, is not impossible. However, it will require a significant amount of work. In this sense, it is best not to go into the class expecting a quick improvement. You may even have to study additionally on your own after the course ends to make the improvement that you want. There's no one way for someone to take the course and there's no one time period after the class where students are encouraged to take the exam. Instead, we tell our students that they need to feel comfortable about taking the exam. At this point, they are ready.

Additionally, it is not uncommon for someone to take the GMAT twice before he or she achieves a desired score on the exam. This is due to a multitude of reasons such as the pressure associated with taking the exam, nerves, blanking out the first time around, and not preparing enough. This is completely common. The GMAT is a stressful experience and a lot of times it's only after analyzing a student's behavior after taking a real exam that we can provide him or her with feedback to straighten out the final rough patches. The good news is that we offer a free Post Exam Assessment, a one hour diagnostic session with a ManhattanGMAT Instructor, if you are not satisfied with your real GMAT score after taking the class.

As for your logistical questions, you don't need to do any prep before starting the class, although we do ask that you take a diagnostic exam (available for free online now or accessed shortly after you sign up for a course). If you have the ManhattanGMAT books, you will receive book credit. However, make sure you have the new Third Edition Books! If you have our 2007 edition guides, you can still swap them out until April 25th, 2009 for free upon presenting your receipt of purchase.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628