Need advice & direction

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need advice & direction

by thechamp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:50 pm
Hello everyone,
I started preparing for GMAT around August last year and my target score is 700+. So far, I have exhausted the following:
OG11 (twice), Kaplan 800, MGMAT SC, MGMAT Word Problems, OG-V & OG-Q supplements
This is where I stand today on scores:
GMAT Prep 1 - 660 (when I started preparing)
MGMAT-Free diagnostic - 630
MGMAT 1 - 640 (Q44, V34)
MGMAT 2 - 600 (Q43, V31)
MGMAT 3 - 630 (Q42, V34)
MGMAT 4 - 650 (Q48, V32)
GMAT Prep 1 - 650
GMAT Prep 2 - 620! (Q35, V41) :shock: (I took it this morning)
The problem I am running into is that when I take short 2-hour tests from OG supplements, etc. I do quite well (75%+ correct) which makes me feel prepared but when I take any of the practice tests, I get these results that are quite a bit lower than my target of 700+, which is also why I have not taken a test date yet. However, I think I am at a point where I cannot afford to wait beyond end of this month as we have a 'family addition' on the way which is going to make me really busy from the next month. More importantly, since I work full time and have been preparing for a long time, I am already feeling worn-out, exhausted, frustrated, helpless, desperate and bored with GMAT. I was thinking of taking GMAT on Jan.23rd before I took GMAT Prep2 this morning. But now after seeing the score, I am rethinking about the whole GMAT thing just because I am running out of time and am feeling very pressured because of my scores and other factors. I hate to give up but might have to do that this time. :( I wanted to blog before I did that to see if my fellow GMATters and some experts on this website would have some pointers for me.
I would very much appreciate some sincere help/advice/suggestions.
Many thanks in advance.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:44 am
The Champ

Sorry to hear your troubles. Preparing for the GMAT can be quite frustrating and some time down right confusing. From the information you have provided it appears when you take a short practice test you ace it but then when you take the full practice test your scores aren't quite as good.

Do you find yourself getting tired or distracted as the test goes on?

So you find yourself rushing at the end to finish?

With the Quant do you find yourself working a problem one way and then switching to another?

I understand your pressure to get the GMAT over and done with especially with a little one on the way. (Congratulations!)

You appear to have the ambition to get a 700+ score now we just need to uncover the issues so we can diagnose the problem and attack it in short order.

Thanks!
I am the student services director for www.99thscore.com in which we provide online instruction to help students achieve the GMAT score they desire. Online Videos as well as private instuction are available. If you would like further information or have questions simply email me at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by thechamp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm
Thanks for your reply!

I don't think I have any issue with the stamina, etc. I guess I just need understand the tricks of GMAT a little better and have my plan ready. I also need to put all the pieces together and I am on it!

Thanks again for your reply.