Low scores. Do I keep trying? Help!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Low scores. Do I keep trying? Help!

by allieq25 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:19 pm
I took the class, studied for so long and thought I had a pretty good grasp on the material.

Unfortunately, I got a 480 the first time and a 440 the second time.

Is there any hope? I feel like I am so far from the minimum that it will be wasted effort.

Also, with two bad scores being sent to my top schools along with third round coming up, is it pointless to keep trying?

Any advice would be extremely appreciated!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by torofish » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 am
Hi comrade

Well, I think there must be some thing wrong with your studying.
Sometimes just studying may not be enough, we need to look at WHAT you study.

Is it possible that you may overly focus on your strength and neglect your weakness?
Or that you neglect your strength and try to focus on your weakness but then you may forgot your strength along with not so strong with the weakness. So the strength became weakness and the weakness remained weakness.

Hope this help. :D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Don't Give Up

by [email protected] » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 am
Torofish

Don't Give up.

Congratulations on taking the GMAT exam twice and preparing for it. That is an accomplishment in itself.

What now needs to be understood is;

1) How did you prepare the first 2 attempts? Resources, Time to prepare for the exam and how many total hours did you spend preparing?

2) Can you commit to more hours or possibly investing in better resources for the next attempt?

Your GMAT score is purely a function of your time to prepare and the resources you use. I am confident you could score a 750 if you have a top GMAT tutor with you 8 hours a day. Do you agree?

Now we need to work backwards from there and create a plan that will allow you to score well on the GMAT.

I will keep an eye on this post.

Thanks!

I am the student services director for www.99thscore.com in which we provide online instruction to help students achieve the GMAT score they desire. Online Videos as well as private instuction are available. If you have any questions please email me at [email protected].