staying at current job vs. internship? Opinion needed please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I need some advice. I have been at my current job for one year. This February I will have fulfilled the 2 years of work experience. I was at a previous employer for a year in the same career field, homeowner's insurance. I feel that insurance is not something I want to pursue and that the work experience I do have at my company is irrelevant to what I plan on doing, Business Analysis. I am studying for the GMAT, I want to take it in June or July. Then, depending on my score, I plan on going abroad, to China, for one year to experience the culture and pick up my native tongue (reading and writing it, etc.) When I come back, I plan on going straight into whichever is the best Business school that will accept me. MY PROBLEM is... I really HATE my current employer and feel that I'd be better off trying to find a 6 month INTERNSHIP in the Business Analyst field and getting the WORK EXPERIENCE from them prior to applying for Business school. I feel wasted and unappreciated at my current job for various reasons. Would doing the internship make my resume/application for Business school look bad because I've "bounced around" with different employers? In my defense and reasoning, I have finally REALIZED that insurance is not for me and neither is the experience (or lack of it) and I'd be better off pursuing experience in my intended career path, BUSINESS ANALYST. Please let me know what you think concerning how a Business school would judge me on this. If it just looks bad and if I do need to "stick it out" with INSURANCE. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Lucy Wong

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:16 pm
Dear Lucy,

Unfortunately, I think it might be best to stick it out until you leave for China. First, I think it will be very difficult to find an internship for six months when you already have work experience and it is not the normal timeframe for an internship. More importantly though, I think it will raise many questions on your career path that are probably better avoided as you never want to speak negatively about an employer. It is only a few months--you can do it!

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by ChinaChao » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 pm
Thank you so much for your opinion. I will definitely try to stick it out now as my boyfriend suggested the same thing, but man it's hard. My job is so ungrateful and wants all this OT from me, I just want to study/focus on the GMAT... Thank you again for your advice. =)

Lucy W.

by ChinaChao » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:27 pm
If you can, i do have some concerns and well, stress. Is it worse to be unemployed? I just really want out of my job. The OT, the irrelevance, management, the distance, etc. I CAN stick it out but man... I'd rather be unemployed and study for the GMAT than to be working for them... I know it's kind of silly but I just wanted the last SAY SO opinion. Thanks again.
Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear Lucy,

Unfortunately, I think it might be best to stick it out until you leave for China. First, I think it will be very difficult to find an internship for six months when you already have work experience and it is not the normal timeframe for an internship. More importantly though, I think it will raise many questions on your career path that are probably better avoided as you never want to speak negatively about an employer. It is only a few months--you can do it!

Good luck,
Lisa

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm
Dear Lucy,

Any gaps in employment will require an explanation by you to both admissions officers and future recruiters. I think you could probably get away with quitting in May if you plan to go abroad in August/September. Once you get past about 3 months, it starts to get tougher and like it or not/fair or not, you will be judged for quitting a job without having another job to go to, and saying you quit because you hated it will be seen as immature by many folks. Trust me--I know where you are as I have been there myself. You only have a few months to go and you can make it that long. Think of it as the means (paycheck and gap-filler on resume) to your ends (great business school).

Hang in there!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me