question about the OG 11 edtion (math portion)

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
For the OG 11th edition, I'm reviewing the math portion, but I"m going backwards(working problem number 249 first, and going backwards and working problem 1 last).

I'm noticing that the last 20 to 40 problems are the hardest. I understand that the problems are placed by level of difficulty, so it would make sense that these are the hardest problems. but how does it compare to the real exam?

Are the GMAT math questions as hard as these types of problems, harder, easier?

so far, i'm having trouble with them, and I even find that you have to be very sneaky in number properties and manipulation in order to solve a lot of them

by torofish » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:26 am
I think I'm now at question number 234 in Problem Solving OG11 and I did GMATprep.

My opinion is questions in OG11 are way way way easier than GMATprep questions.

ps I got Q from GMATprep around 37-40

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:48 am
I disagree with the above. My opinion is that the problems in the OG are accurate up to about the 85th percentile in quant. If you're scoring above that, you need to find some harder problems. However, most people are fine with just the OG.

You should also consider getting the OG supplement guides. They double the number of questions you have to work on. I think one reason people find the actual GMAT harder than the OG is that, after studying and working the problems in the OG, people then remember them as "easy" .... whereas if they had been given that same problem on an actual GMAT with no time to study and only 2 minutes to solve it, it would seem "hard".
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by supermr2 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 pm
I just finished all 249 problems in the Q section. Is there anyway to convert the 249 problems into some form of raw score?

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 pm
Not really.

You can get a general idea by looking at the number right at various difficulty levels, but to get an accurate score you need to take an adaptive practice test.

One more thing: are you SURE you're done? Did you study every problem and find the best way to solve each and every one? If you had to do all 249 problems again tomorrow, would you get them all right? Make sure you've studied the problems as much as you should have.

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:760

by canada_sms » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:26 pm
Hey VP_Jim,

Are there any sources you would suggest for finding some harder quant questions? I'm starting the VP full course in Palo Alto tomorrow evening. Will the VP booklets provide enough questions at the highest difficulty level?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor

by VP_Jim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:58 pm
Yes, there are definitely some harder problems in the Veritas books. You're likely all set. Enjoy the course!

by torofish » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 pm
VP_Jim wrote:However, most people are fine with just the OG.
Really? :cry:
It's a new idea that the OG could be that much accurate.
Sigh, I think I need to take a real hard look at my score.
I think I can repetitively do some particular topics, that's why I think it's too easy.