Really need your help in assessing my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Really need your help in assessing my profile

by toiday » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:03 pm
Hi Stacy,

I come from the small country of Vietnam at the Asian region and look for chances at top 20 b-schools in the US, specifically Columbia, Cornell and NYU (preferably around NY state)

My GMAT is 700, my GPA at the law school is little bit low though, around 2.9 or 3 out of 4.

My experience ranged from media to management consulting and now, investment management. I was promoted to be the youngest manager in a local tourism & leisure magazine. Four years at the magazine was tough time when I and the team managed to drive magazine out of the SARS crisis. Two years then as a management consultant at a local management consulting firm trained me then exposed me to different levels of challenges at a broader corporate environment. I involved in the two biggest ever projects of the firm, and also was assigned to lead some of the sub-components.

Currently, I started my new position as an investment analyst, conducting equity research while also involving in portfolio management (little strange but please bear in mind that the stock market was only established in Vietnam 6 years ago). I guess the love for private equity has drawn myself into the financial area since I learnt that experience from management consulting could not be enough. I also learn that it is time for me to get a MBA, preparing myself for new opportunities that my country will offer in the next 5 years.

My social activities are normally around the football club I formed and maintained during the past 5 years. Another significant activity could be the establishment of a GMAT club in which I gathered more than tens GMAT test takers, helping out and studying together. Some of them score much better after studying with us.

I am aware that holding the Vietnamese citizenship, I may gain some advantages however some drawback Is think of include: no international experience and limited social activities.

So after seeing you provide valuable assistance to other MBA candidates in the forum, I would love you to look at my profile and give me your assessment.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:09 pm
I think you have a lot going for you and have the potential to put together a very strong application to a top 20 school. My biggest question is around your career progression. You seem to have a lot of different experiences and jumped around a bit. Magazine, consulting, investment analyst. You will need to focus on putting together a story about your background that explains these changes, and still conveys the idea that you are a focused individual who has made deliberate decisions, rather than merely jumping around.
Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by toiday » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 am
Appreciate for your quick reply and great insight

Thanks