Got 680 in my fist attempt. NEED Help. Please suggest.

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi All,

First of all, I would to thank all of you who contrinbute to this site. You guys are great.

I have one quick question and hoping that few of you experienced people will reply back. Any suggestions or feedbacks are greatly appreciated.

I have been working for one of the top 100 company in U.S for last 8 years. I graduated from University of Houston with a 3.7 GPA. My question is that with this score do I have a chance in getting admitted in top 10 MBA schools.

Part time Berkely is my frist choice, but I wish I could go to Stanford, Yale, MIT or Columbia. However, I dont have alot of time left and do not have a high GPA score, please suggest which one these schools do i have a better chance of getting accepted. Please let me know.

Thanks

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:08 pm
I am not sure what you would consider to be a high GPA, but 3.7 would be considered above average. Mine is 3.79, and I am pretty proud of it. As for your GMAT, I think that it is in the right vicinity. However, as many others have reiterated here, it all depends on the overall package that you put together. You can have a 780 and not even get an interview. I think that your GPA and GMAT are fine; this will show them what kind of potential you have for the first year of ACADEMICS. However, your MBA is more than just about classes. It is also about what you bring to your classes, the program, and fellow students. Showing that you are well-rounded, situated, confident, among other things that make for a great leader, is even more important.

Focus on telling a great story, showing what is unique about you, and how who you are and where you have been fits with where a given school can take you. It is important to show why your "dream" school is your dream school beyond the obvious (the things that I would be able to say about the school in an essay after visiting the website).

Also, keep this in mind: be honest about your weaknesses. Take full responsibility for any blemishes. However, do not dwell on them. Instead, use them as a point of departure to explain how you changed, overcame, etc, etc.

I'll let others say the rest. Good luck.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by saabidi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:14 pm
Thanks AleksandrM. I really appreciate your feedback.