Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by HappilyConfused » Fri May 18, 2007 2:33 am
Hi Stacy,

I appreciate your candor in evaluating mba appicants' profiles and would be interested to hear what you think of my chances.

Ideally I would like at attend a top program:
Harvard
MIT
Northwestern (are you familiar with their 3 year JD/MBA program?)
Chicago

I feel my biggest strength is my diversity and commitment while my biggest weakness is a lack of experience in a large corporation.

- GPA, major, school:
3.69 completed a 4 year BS/MS from a good US liberal arts school (BW ~30) in Neuroscience with honors - May 2004

- GMAT with breakdown
Q - 45 - 78th Percentile
V - 42 - 95th Percentile
T - 720 - 96th Percentile

- resume highlights, including company name, job titles and promotions
1) Served in the Israeli army - 9 months - rank of corporal - served in the liaisons and foreign relations division
2) 2 months working at a call center
3) 3 month project for an Internet Marketing Startup - in charge of internet marketing and analytics
4) 1 year experience working as director of internet marketing and business development for a small (3 workers + subcontractors) web design firm.

- extracurricular involvements

-Not many since college...

1) Am recently married
2) Many extracurricular activities from College (business manager of an a cappella group, undergraduate department representative, vp of social programming for a religious group)

- awards, patents, publications, etc...
1) Don't know if it is much to speak of but during a brief time working at call center received MVP of training class

- interesting personal facts - countries lived in, challenges faced, unusual interests

Countries lived in:
1) Attended pre-college 1 year leadership program in Israel
2) Have lived in Israel since August of 2004

Challenges faced:
1) Was diagnosed with Crohn's disease (an anti-immune disease located in the intestine) during the first semester of my freshman year (winter of 2000-2001)

Unusual interests:
1)A cappella music (including vocal percussion)
2)All Boston based sports teams

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 pm
Your background has some good, and some "challenges". Lack of extracurriculars may be a challenge. Also, your work experience lacks some substance. You have had several short stints - you might benefit from taking an extra year so that you have more solid experience at this most recent job. You don't need experience at a large company, but you need substantial experience which highlights your leadership, and hopefully some dedication. The army experience was also brief, although that will add to your leadership profile.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me