Optional essay

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Optional essay

by Stockmoose16 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:19 pm
Lisa,

I scored a 690 on the GMAT -- 92nd percentile verbal, 70th percentile math. Since many of the top schools look for an 80/80 split, should I address my quant background in the optional essay?

In my previous optional essays-- to HBS and UCLA -- I decided to address my lack of managerial experience, and highlighted the fact that I've taken on many leadership roles in my extracurriculars. But now, with my Duke, UNC, Texas, and USC applications still to go, I'm wondering if I should've written my optional essay about my relatively low quant score (for these schools).

To give you a little background, I majored in both television, radio, film and finance undergrad. I got straight A's in all my math/finance courses, which included stats and calculus. Should I address this in the optional essay, or will the Adcoms simply look at my transcript and know that I can clearly handle quant material?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:37 am
Dear Stockmoose,

I do not think you need to address your quantitative ability in an optional essay. Even though you are not above the 80th percentile, it is still a strong raw score plus you did well in your quantitative coursework in school. I think highlighting your leadership experiences is the more prudent choice.

Two cents poorer,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me