Life is crazy..!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Life is crazy..!

by s&s » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:44 am
I took my exam yestrday... and the score i got my was nowhere close to anything I had expected.

Dont even know what to make of it.

I got a 490!!!
Verbal 81%
Maths 11% (dont know what to say to ths)
I got more than 490 that on my first diagnostic test... :(
I am obviously very dissapointed.. and shocked... this seems like a cruel joke.

A little about myself.... I have a humanities background. While maths has never been my strong point, i have never done so badly in maths. I always manged getting in 70's.
I am also a bit lazy and have always set a target for myself.. and worked at getting there... nothing more. So i knew i could never get a get 90's in maths.. and i worked towards getting a 70's.

During the test - I have no clue what happened during the maths test..I knw at one point i was scrambling to keep up with the time. It was in the last half n hour. So I had to rush through a lot of questions. I got some tough q's ... some were easy... some were tricky. After this score.. I have just blanked out on what happened.

As for verbal... it was a tough one. English is not my first language. People please be prepared... none of the CATs prepare you for what you get in Verbal.
I got some pretty brutal RC's - 3 short ones - one on finance, one on psychology and one on nanotechnology...!!!
And there was an incredibly long one... not easy either.
I knew i could have scored more in verbal... but i got a bit complacent, and irritated..

And yes.. in my CR... I mostly got those fill in blank... CR questions. I am not crazy about them... becaue they are the most confusing ones..!!
I was pressedd for time during my Verbal... but mainly in the end... and to top it all up.. I got the longest passge (over 4 paras) in the end.

Well.. as for my future plan.. I know have to apply for the Sep sesion... so I am planning a retake.. in March.
I am going away to India for a month.. will be back in Feb.. so I will have about 6-7 weeks to prepare.

I wasnt going to write my experience...because really.. such a crazy story is the last thing anyone wants to hear. But I thought may be it could help someone... and i also need some advise... i have no clue what to do next.

I used-
OG
Manhattan G (all)
K800
Kaplan
A couple of grammar books.

In my online Cats... I was scoring between early and late 600's.
I just think may be i am just not cut out for standardized tests...

Any sugestions welcome... if i dont reply... it is probably because i am travelling... but i will get back to all q's, when i am close to a computer.

Lastly... I learnt.... a lottttttttttttttt from this site. Thanks u all..!!! All the best.

S&S

ps: even though it says... i joined earleir.. i only started using this site in the last 2 weeks. ( definitely regret that).
Any feedback on Manhattan classes...?
I think I might have to take that this time. I have no energy left to do it on my own.
sorry for keepingit so long.

by s&s » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:48 am
To make things worse.. looks like I sent out my scores.. to the 5 places... i wanted to apply to.

They must think I have lost it.

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:07 am
s&s wrote:To make things worse.. looks like I sent out my scores.. to the 5 places... i wanted to apply to.

s&s

Don't loose any hope buddy!!!
Success is not far away..
I suggest you to again take a date .
Take it as a challenge...
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

by s&s » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:05 pm
thanks ronnie..!
i am planning a re-take in march, whether i am good at standardized tests or not.
because the score seems like a freak accident.

best, ss.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:42 pm
The bad part about GMAT that nobody likes is they ask us to submit 5 schools list BEFORE we get to know our scores. But it wont hurt your chances if you improve... retaking the test for improvement never considered bad in MBA admission / GMAT land. ;)
s&s wrote:To make things worse.. looks like I sent out my scores.. to the 5 places... i wanted to apply to.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:11 pm
it won't look bad unless it is > 3 attempts with minimal improvement.

i never mentioned any schools at the beginning of my tests, didn't want to make that mistake. GMAC can have my additional $30 donation later if needed.

perception - and by extension - the first impression, is crucial in real life. i suggest that you don't report schools either for your retake.

by tripathimani » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:27 am
Hi s&s,

You might consider taking the Manhattan class. I recently completed their 9 week course and I have found it useful. I have increased my score to 600 from 450 at the time of diagnostic. But score improvements take time, practice and determination. i;m still working on it :)

Good Luck