Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:730

HBS/Yale Fresher Chances

by str1der » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 am
Hi,

I am a college senior from India and would like to inquire about my chances at HBS. I do not have any prior full time work experience. However, I have two internships with start up firms based out of India. They aren't big names but personal growth here has been very good. I am also the founder of my own web and graphic design firm and have hired people after interviewing them for contract based jobs.

Academically, I have 93% in grade 10, 86% in grade 12 (Maths Phys Chem option) and a current percentage of about 66% in Computer Science and Engineering from Panjab University which is highly regarded and well known as you would already be aware of. (It helps when the country's prime minister and one of the best economists is an alumni :) )

I have also been recognized as India's Youngest Microsoft Certified Professional (when I was 13). I have topped both my schools (changed after grade ten) in English. I have been sub editor of the school magazine, been house captain (in charge of 300 students), served on the executive board of my school's alumni association and taken active interest in social work by volunteering to organize blood donation camps, educating beggars and working with Help Age India.

In college, I have been an active member of the largest student organization on campus and managed funds for a year for the same. I was also selected by a globally renowned consulting firm during recently concluded placements and was in the 2% students selected out of 350.

I am taking my GMAT on the 27th of December. The GMAT PowerPrep test I took has given me a score of 690. I took the test without preparation and rushed through it, finishing it in under 1 hour as I just wanted to get a feel of the test. Am expecting (or rather targeting) a score of 690-730 in my GMAT.

I would like your opinion on my chances for admission to Harvard Business School and Yale. I have also applied for the MFE program at Said Business School, Oxford.

Thank you for your time and kind regards,
Ankit

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:40 am
str1der,

Thanks for your note. Honestly, you will greatly increase your chances of admission to top schools once you have some full time work experience. I strongly suggest that you work 1-2 years after college and then apply to business school.

While schools like HBS do admit a few college seniors which high academics and impressive internship experiences, you need to apply by the summer before your senior year.

Sincerely,

Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit LLC
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.