consulting/non-profit with GPA 4.0 / GMAT 690 - advice pls!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:690
Hi,

I am a bit nervous, as I am applying to three top b-schools (HBS, Stanford, Columbia), and my GMAT was not as high as I was hoping (I ended getting sick on my test date, which I had to reschedule 3 times already after being from some viral infection)

Quick background - Graduated from a state school, worked at a prestigious mgmt consulting firm for 2.5 yrs then switched non-profit work in Africa for the past 2 years. Volunteer on the wknds as well.

GPA - 4.0 (state school)
GMAT - 690

I am thinking of finishing all of my essays and then retaking my GMAT - is it worth the hassle, and will these schools overlook a lower score, in case I get one? Will they overlook the 690, if I get a higher score? Thanks much!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:03 pm
Dear cookies,

First, a 690 is not a low score. For your target list, you are slightly below the average but by no means out of range. With a high GPA and some strong work experience, I think you have a chance with your current profile. Admissions are not based on a GMAT score alone; you must present a compelling case for admission in your essays and interview. I think everyone should apply to at least one safety school as a backup plan, so you might consider doing that as you have only top 5 programs on your list.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me