2nd GMAT attempt BUST

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

2nd GMAT attempt BUST

by Peter284 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 pm
Hello consultants,

I took the GMAT this morning for the second time, 4 months after the first, and got the EXACT same score. 590. I was completely shocked when it pooped up on my screen. I have been scoring in the upper 600s on the practice tests, so this horrible score felt like a slap to the face.

Right now I am in sort of a pickle. I already started apps for Columbia, Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, and Duke. I've got great letters of recommendations on their way in. My plan was to use my very different background as leverage to get in. Here is my backround info: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba-student- ... 16934.html

Now that i have taken the GMAT twice and obviosuly showed NO improvement, I believe I don't have a chance. Do I apply for Round 2 anyway? Do I take the test again and go for Round 3? Do I even bother with Round 3? (disadvantage)

I am just so frustrated, sad, and disappointed with myself because i tried so hard this second time. I have no explanation on how this happened. Please please please give me any kind of advice. I would appreciate it so much.. Thank you

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:59 pm
Dear Peter284,

I think you still submit the applications anyway if you already have them in process with your recommenders. While the 590 is low, you might be one of the handful that get in under a 600 if you present a strong, compelling application. I would also suggest applying to at least 1 safety school also. These would be schools with GMAT averages in the 600-660 range.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Peter284 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 pm
dear lisa,

Thank you so much for your response. After thinking hard about my situation I was leaning towards what you are suggesting also. I was on the stanford website and looking at their class of 2010 profile, and their gmat range started at 540. So I am praying that I can be included in that small group of students! Thanks again for your response. I appreciate it