Just took the GMAT...and I need to take it again

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
So I took the GMAT yesterday and got a 610 (Q40/V34) and needless to say I'm very dissapointed. Unfortunately I didn't find this website until yesterday when I was looking for tips on what I need to do next (great site by the way - wish I knew about it earlier). From reading the other blogs it's clear that my prep was missing an important element - the OG.

I took the Kaplan class that started in April and my scores were as follows:
Kap Diag. 530 (Q29/V36)
Kap #1 580 (Q33/V33)
Kap #2 690 (Q48/V38)
Kap #3 610 (Q41/V30)
Kap #4 690 (Q49/V37)
Kap #5 620 (Q36/V43)
GMAT Prep #1 660
GMAT Prep #2 640 (I actually ran out of time on this one and didn't even answer the last 7 questions on the Quant section)

The week before the test I didn't have work and all I did was study so I was hoping that that would be enough.

What I noticed on the actual test that was different from all the practice tests (both Kaplan and GMAT Prep) was that the math was the hardest I had seen. The verbal seemed a little harder too. Anybody else notice that? My goal is a 700 so I hope I can get there.

Since I already took a prep class, I'm somewhat confused on what I need to do next. I know I need to pick up the OG books and will be reviewing the rest of this website for other tips but any other suggestions to break into the 700 barrier would be very helpful.

Thanks.

You need to take the exam again. Clearly your testing is higher than a 610 and oftentimes nerves play a big role in taking the GMAT, esp. the first time. I've taken it a couple of times and you finally realize that you need to take the test like it is a game and not think about how this will determine your MBA future. Test takers totally freak themselves out as I have learned from experience. Now having said that, I am sure that my next exam on May 21 will come with nerves, but you have to program yourself to get rid of it.

Based on your practice exams, a 610 is towards the low-end of your abilities. Less nerves and sometimes with better luck, your next test administration will prove to be stronger. I have realized that sometimes it is also the luck of the draw. Taking it again will increase your chances on the next exam.

You should also be happy that you broke the 600 mark and it's a matter of improving less than 100 points.

Good luck with the rest of your studies and your next exam. And go get the OG11!

Thank you

by TinaV » Thu May 10, 2007 7:26 pm
Thanks for the encouraging words - you have no idea how much it helps. Next stop - bookstore to get the OG books. Thanks again. And good luck on your GMAT on the 21st.