Just got back from the exam. 770 Total. :D

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Just got back from the exam. 770 Total. :D

by victorX » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 pm
Q 50 = 94%
V 46 = 99%
Total 770 = 99%

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730
victorX wrote:Q 50 = 94%
V 46 = 99%
Total 770 = 99%
Not bad. Quant could have been 99% too but..hey shit happens right.

:lol:

You are a GMAT machine my friend. Now it is time to get into a business school. Good luck with your applications.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Well done

by smalishah84 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:33 pm
Congratulations man. What an excellent score. Can you please write a de-brief for the benefit of others???

I am sure that we will be able to learn a lot from you.

Congratulations once again on a wonderful wonderful score.

Regards

Well done

by smalishah84 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 pm
Congratulations man. What an excellent score. Can you please write a de-brief for the benefit of others???

I am sure that we will be able to learn a lot from you.

Congratulations once again on a wonderful wonderful score.

Regards

by victorX » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:57 am
I don't know how applicable my path was to anyone else on the forum, but here it is...

I am a math PhD with a JD so my preparation has really been going on, unofficially, for pretty much my whole life. Beyond that, I signed up for the GMAT two weeks ago, picked up the Princeton Review and did my preparation after work during this past week. Having looked up some of the top schools' scoring ranges, I set my goal at 750 but I thought a little higher was possible. I never felt I had enough command of the verbal section to shoot for an 800. I took the two practice exams provided with GMATPrep on Tuesday and Thursday to get a feel for the timing and scored a 780 and 750 on them.

AWA: I didn't do any of the GMATPrep for the AWA. From the Princeton Review, I read that it didn't really make much of a difference for native English speakers so I followed their basic template and should do ok.

Quantitative: I was really only concerned about the problem formats for this section. I didn't have any trouble with any of the problems themselves, but I have occasionally mismarked the "1 and 2 taken together is insufficient" as "Neither 1 nor 2 alone is sufficient" and I suspect that's what happened on my exam today. On the practice exams, I hit 51 (3 wrong, 20 minutes to spare) and 51 (2 wrong, 17 minutes to spare). Today I tried to take more time, be more careful, in an effort to get a perfect score and I ended up with a 50 so that was disappointing. If there is a moral to this, it is LESSON #1: "if something ain't broke, don't fix it".

Verbal: The reading comprehension and the logical reasoning were familiar to me from law school, but the sentence correction piece was new. I used the Princeton Review and the GMATPrep sample questions to familiarize myself with what they were looking for. On the practice exams, I scored 45 and 40. I was behind in time for much of this part of the exam but I was able to pick up my pace towards the end and complete everything. The 46 that I received is probably better than I deserve, but I'll take it :)

Day of the Exam (Saturday): I slept poorly all week thinking about the exam. Not really WORRYING about it, but realizing that this is a potentially life-changing experience, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about what's down the road. Friday night, however, I got to bed early and had an excellent night's sleep. My test was scheduled for 4:30 pm so I had the whole day to relax and get my mind set for the exam. Thinking it might help, I ate some comfort foods (McDonald's) that I hadn't eaten in months and my system did not react well to it. LESSON #2: "test day is not the time to change things up." During the exam, there were points that I felt my eyes glazing over. Not because of the difficulty of the questions, but just out of fatigue and, well, boredom - it's a long test! I wish I had kept some caffeine in my locker or a chocolate bar or something to give me a little more energy later on.

Overall: I think more preparation would've benefited me on both sections. Greater familiarity with the exam might prevent silly mistakes and would definitely help with clock management. As for my scores, like I said, I did better on the verbal than I expected but worse on the quantitative so I guess its a wash. I don't plan on retaking it so hopefully it will be good enough to get me into a strong program.

Take care and best of luck to everyone.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:06 am
:) You made my day!
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by obama » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:10 am
congrats for this score!

Well done any way :)

by smalishah84 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:08 am
Man you sure are right that the path that you have taken will surely not help too many people out there :)..lol....how many people out there are PhDs really?

But at any rate congratulations on a job well done.

Regards

GMAT Score:590
victorX wrote:Q 50 = 94%
V 46 = 99%
Total 770 = 99%
Good job dear....My exam is on Dec 20th. Lets see whats waiting for me.
I am gonna get u my love(GMAT)

by victorX » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:30 am
Just a quick update...

They said that it would take up to 20 days to get my official scores, but they just arrived this morning (only 5 days after the exam). Scores didn't change and I got the 6 on the AWA. Now for the long slog of writing up applications...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:47 pm
I have to ask...

Why is a PhD/JD taking the GMAT, too?! Are you going to add "MBA" to your resume?!

You must love school!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by canuckclint » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:17 pm
"I am a math PhD with a JD"

Why in the world would you need an MBA??
I thought lawyers and judges make good money!

And you can always do a personal MBA.

Btw 770 is the closes to 800 I've seen. Maybe 780 I recall.

by victorX » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:05 pm
VP_Jim wrote:I have to ask...

Why is a PhD/JD taking the GMAT, too?! Are you going to add "MBA" to your resume?!

You must love school!
I do love school, but there are a couple of practical reasons, too.

I had a good job before I started law school and managed to get through it without any debt. As I began prepping for the bar, I received a generous position (lawyer salary, 40 hours per week) with a Fortune 500 company and I started to wonder about the 60+ hours per week lawyer lifestyle. So I took the position and I'm enjoying it, but it looks like climbing the ladder will be easier with an MBA - and the company is willing to pay for it.

So I'll use the JD for patent stuff on the side and to keep some of my shadier friends out of trouble. If I get into and through a good MBA program, hopefully the combination of degrees will be uncommon enough to open some cool doors for me. In any case, it can't hurt :)