six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje

by deepamohn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:48 pm
In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who they say has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

(A) claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who
(B) claimed to have visions of the Virgin Mary, whom
(C) claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom
(D) claimed to have visions of the Virgin Mary, who
(E) had claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom [/spoiler]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

by orel » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:59 pm
IMO it is D

but i don't actually know the grammar for the verb "claim" here

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730
deepamohn wrote:In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who they say has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

Nice question..

Teeangers say Mary Virgin has continued to appear to them so Mary Virgin is the object case so choose WHOM over WHO - eliminate A and D

Teenagers claimed to have the visions of the Mary before 1981 so claimed to have had is correct, eliminate B

Between C and E, I chose C since we need a past tense and a past perfect so C

(C) claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:15 pm
I think its A) since who refers to one person (Mary) whereas whom could refer to the boys also

Also claimed to have had is right IMO

Followed by:2 members

by schumi_gmat » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:40 pm
IMO C

MAry is the object, hence Whom should be used.

1 event - they had visions before 1981 - past perfect
2 - event - they claimed in 1981 - past tense

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gmatech » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by deepamohn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:59 pm
OA is A.

Legendary Member

by logitech » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:39 pm
Another 1000 nonsense. I googled this question to find out more about this question:

https://astore.amazon.com/domesticchurch ... 0312361971

Oh it is actually from an article!

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
In June 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia (now Bosnia and Herzogovina), claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, whom they say has continued to appear to them over the ensuing 10 years. This compilation of Connell's interviews with the six shows them standing up admirably to the scrutiny of church officials, as well as to the intense tourism that news of the apparitions generated in the area....

Any comments boys and girls ?
LGTCH
---------------------

Legendary Member

by logitech » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:50 pm
Okay it seems that both the editor of this article and I failed to use WHO instead of WHOM here...

Grammar Girl makes it look easy

It was almost exactly a year ago when I did the first show about who versus whom. In that show I only covered the simple cases, and lately I've been getting questions that made me think I should delve deeper into the topic. So today's topic is who versus whom--advanced.

Here's an example of the kind of questions that are coming in. Derrick from Oakland, CA, recently read a story in the Wall Street Journal about restaurants that offer tasting menus that pair wine with food, and he came across this sentence about the sommelier:
We never did meet his teammate ... who[m] he said works the room in his absence.

Derrick thought the whom seemed out of place and asked me to explain why. He's right, and I will have a quick and dirty tip for you, but first, I want to explain in grammatical terms why it should be who.

First, you have to separate out the clause that contains the who or whom. All you need to care about is how the who or whom functions within that clause.

In the example sentence--We never did meet his teammate who he said works the room in his absence--the last part (who he said works the room in his absence) is something called an adjectival clause. That just means the whole thing functions as an adjective to tell use more about the teammate. Who is the teammate? Someone who he says works the room in his absence.

The part that always seems to mess people up in clauses like that is the he says part. Someone who [he says] works the room in his absence.

It seems as if people see the he and think it might be the subject of the clause, but it's not. The good news is that he says is a separate clause within the adjectival clause, and you can just ignore it. It's parenthetical--an aside (1, 2). Take it out in your imagination as you look at the sentence or cross it out. Taking it out leaves you with the clause who works the room in his absence.

So our original question is actually:

In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who ,they say, has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

:oops:
LGTCH
---------------------

Legendary Member

by ronniecoleman » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 am
IMO A:

Thanks a lot Logitech!!
Admission champion, Hauz khaz
011-27565856

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 pm
Can anyone explain why is 'D' wrong?

GMAT Score:770

by raghavsarathy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:50 am
The sentence uses "In 1981" and so we understand that the author is speaking about a past event. To continue with this tense ,we definely need the past tense "had". D does not use "had" and hence it is wrong.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:31 am
Thanks mate..
raghavsarathy wrote:The sentence uses "In 1981" and so we understand that the author is speaking about a past event. To continue with this tense ,we definely need the past tense "had". D does not use "had" and hence it is wrong.

GMAT Score:680

by hemanth28 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:11 am
logitech wrote:Okay it seems that both the editor of this article and I failed to use WHO instead of WHOM here...

Grammar Girl makes it look easy

It was almost exactly a year ago when I did the first show about who versus whom. In that show I only covered the simple cases, and lately I've been getting questions that made me think I should delve deeper into the topic. So today's topic is who versus whom--advanced.

Here's an example of the kind of questions that are coming in. Derrick from Oakland, CA, recently read a story in the Wall Street Journal about restaurants that offer tasting menus that pair wine with food, and he came across this sentence about the sommelier:
We never did meet his teammate ... who[m] he said works the room in his absence.

Derrick thought the whom seemed out of place and asked me to explain why. He's right, and I will have a quick and dirty tip for you, but first, I want to explain in grammatical terms why it should be who.

First, you have to separate out the clause that contains the who or whom. All you need to care about is how the who or whom functions within that clause.

In the example sentence--We never did meet his teammate who he said works the room in his absence--the last part (who he said works the room in his absence) is something called an adjectival clause. That just means the whole thing functions as an adjective to tell use more about the teammate. Who is the teammate? Someone who he says works the room in his absence.

The part that always seems to mess people up in clauses like that is the he says part. Someone who [he says] works the room in his absence.

It seems as if people see the he and think it might be the subject of the clause, but it's not. The good news is that he says is a separate clause within the adjectival clause, and you can just ignore it. It's parenthetical--an aside (1, 2). Take it out in your imagination as you look at the sentence or cross it out. Taking it out leaves you with the clause who works the room in his absence.

So our original question is actually:

In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who ,they say, has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

In June, 1981, six teenagers in the village of Medjugorje, Yugoslavia, claimed to have had visions of the Virgin Mary, who has continued to appear to them over the ensuing years.

:oops:
Nice explanation. I will add that to my notes . :idea:
GMAT First take :- 680
Getting the guns ready for second shot !!!
https://beatenbygmat.blocked

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hamxa » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:27 am
+1 for logitech, for all the research and putting it all together for us.
:)