Could you comment on my profile pls?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Could you comment on my profile pls?

by maverick27 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:21 am
Hi,

Appreciate if you could evaluate my profile:

i'm indian male. undergrad from india (iit) and postgrad from singapore (nus), both in engineering with above average grades.

Work exp: 1 yr as an engineer, 2.5 yrs in a sovereign wealth fund in research/ portfolio management. both in singapore.

GMAT: 730 (Q=49 V = 41, AWA =4.5)

Extra-curricular: not much of note except for a few small things in college. No community service experience either.

Do you think my profile is unique enough to not be classified under "indian male with engineering background" category?

I have already applied to INSEAD. Do you think I have a realistic shot at top 10 schools in US?

Many thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:12 pm
Dear maverick27,

You will still be considered in the subset of applicants from India, but I do think your work experience will help you to stand out a little from the pack. You have a competitive profile, but I would suggest broadening your school list outside the global top 10. I think you have a shot at many schools and think you should apply to those that are a good match, but it is always a good idea to apply to at least one schools as a backup plan. Regardless of where you apply, what makes the difference for any applicant is how well you put your application together. It is imperative you present a strong rationale for why you want a MBA, how it fits into your overall career plan, and why the school you are applying to is a good match for you. Likewise, you must distinguish yourself from the competition and demonstrate successful leadership experiences/evidence of leadership potential.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by maverick27 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:10 am
Thanks Lisa! appreciate your thoughts.

If I could trouble you a bit more, which schools do you think would be more interested in my kind of experience/ profile?