Seeking a frank profile evaluation, thank you!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Profile Evaluation:

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded but I am a 30 yr old very non-traditional student and want a realistic evaluation. I am interested in attending a Top 5 program, specifically HBS or Wharton’s dual MBA/Int Studies program with the Lauder Institute…and I want to know if I have any chance at all.

I am not sugar coating this; I am accurately describing what I did with my life the last 10 years and would appreciate an equally frank and direct appraisal.

High school – all honors classes, 1420 SAT (older, non-recentered version), many honors, blah blah…

Following high school, I received elite scholarship from the German Bundestag, which paid for me to attend the 13th grade in a German high school. I was one of 15 Americans nationwide. I then stayed on for a few years in Europe, polishing my German and studying at a German university.

At roughly age 21, I returned to America, attended Vanderbilt University for a year, dropped out to goof off and bartend in Nashville.

Later I reentered college at a small state school in Tennessee. After 2 years, this school offered me a scholarship to be first student in their new Hamburg exchange program - they sent me back to Germany where I received a monthly stipend of $1000 as part of a scholarship for Young Entrepreneurs, plus housing, plane tickets, tuition etc. This scholarship was primarily funded by the German government to encourage entrepreneurial ties ties with American universities/business students.
That year, I founded a company that year selling designer clothing and watches in Germany. My first year, the business did $100k in sales, a business I operated off a laptop and the garage of my apartment in Hamburg.

I then moved back to the USA, and further developed the business for 2 years while still in school. Expanded to serve 20+ countries with sales of $250,000 my final year, at which point I closed the business in order to move back to Europe. Ran the business from my laptop and my Dad's garage.

My final year of undergraduate studies I spent in Spain. I speak relatively fluent Spanish now as well as German. I have restarted my import/export business in the 3 languages I speak. I am also part-owner in a few small businesses.

Graduated in May 2006 with double major in Economics and Foreign Languages, minor in International Studies. Bad GPA – 3.35 or 3.40 with the degree from a small state university. Actually my grades were relatively decent, but have a number of F’s, etc on the transcript from semesters I started and just never bothered to withdraw. This is basically because I spent the last 10 years of my life traveling all over the world while enrolled in school, literally while enrolled and taking these classes – ie Lived in Brazil for a few months volunteering at an eye clinic – in Ecuador taking Spanish lessons…went to China to climb along the Great Wall, Australia to dive the Great Barrier Reef and through the Middle East – not to mention dozens and dozens of trips through Europe and South America. All of these trips were self-financed - my business was successful and my classes easy, so I basically just took off all the time to see the world while I was young. Was not motivated academically and so took a very immature attitude toward my grades.

I was and continue to be very entrepreneurial – and I had to be to finance all this traveling – and I have enormous amounts of foreign experience, not just the typical semester abroad of so many American students. Other random honors etc: Mensa – Eagle Scout -

I just took the GMAT last week for the first time,
Scored 720 (95%). My essay was scored 5.5

MY QUESTIONS, specifically:

----Knowing this basic information, do I stand a chance at the schools I mentioned (Top 5 MBA programs, specifically Wharton/Lauder Institute and Harvard)??

---When I took the GMAT, I actually felt I could have done a bit better. Nerves and lack of prep. I think if I crammed for two weeks and did it again, I stand a decent chance to get a 750 or higher. Of course, any given day one could also score lower. But feel relatively confident I could improve. Should I try? Or is it inconsequential?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK, I am posting this question to all four admission consultants here on the forum.

While I am seeking the experienced opinion of an admission consultant, if anyone else wants to chime in with their two cents, I am all ears
:wink:

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:53 pm
You definitely have an interesting background. It also seems that you have the academic aptitude to succeed in business school. Your challenge will be to explain your F's and to convince the admissions staff that you are serious enough about your pursuit of an MBA to stick with it through completion. If you can demonstrate that you have matured over the years and now have the focus to complete the degree then you should be fine. Be sure that you know why you have chosen the programs on your list (location, areas of focus, teaching style, etc.) and can communicate your reasoning along with a clear outline of your future goals.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by doriangray » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Thanks for the feedback, I am aware of this. However do you mind to SPECIFICALLY respond to the two questions I posted at the end of my profile? It is in this area that your expertise is so valuable....
Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:08 pm
Your GMAT score of 720 is very competitive. An additional 10 - 15 points is not going to have a large impact on your application. If you think you can score 750+ then that might make a difference. You will still need to demonstrate that you are well rounded (which seems obvious) and focused.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options