Apply R2 or R3 to boost my gmat score?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Apply R2 or R3 to boost my gmat score?

by nadontheway » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:00 am
Hi,

I got 610 on my 2nd attempt on the Gmat. I will make another attempt before R2. If I can't get a higher score, do you advise me to apply to R2 or wait R3 to try to improve my score?

BTW, I am an international applicant and most schools advised to apply R2.

Thank you so much.

by nadontheway » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:51 am
Forgot to ask:

Which top 10 US MBA's are age friendly? I am 32...

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:42 am
Hello,

My answer to your first question – about GMAT strategy – would depend on which programs you want to apply to. From your second question, it appears that you’re targeting top-10 level programs. If that assumption is correct, and if you can’t raise your GMAT score by second round, then your options for top-level programs are slim. There isn’t much point to apply to these programs with a 610-range GMAT. On the other hand, round 3 is difficult for international applicants. I suggest that if you can’t raise your score by round 2, don’t apply round 2. But before you apply for round 3, check with the specific programs’ adcoms to get their input on whether you can be viable as an international applicant in round 3. There is some variation on this point among programs.

Programs friendlier to older applicants include Kellogg, Michigan, Anderson, Darden.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com

by nadontheway » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:52 am
Thanks a lot Cindy.

You raised two other questions;)

Worst scenario: If I can't increase my score by R2 and adcoms confirmed (need to check this) that R3 is at great disadvantage (meaning nearly impossible) for international applicants, don't you think I should try R2?

Essay scenario: while preparing for the gmat, do you think I should start preparing my essays for R2? or should I dedicate all the time to Gmat (test is on Dec.29th and most US top 5 deadlines is early Jan.)?