700, I beat the gmat..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700

700, I beat the gmat..

by omair » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:14 am
I have been a frequent visitor of this website, but never posted anything.. :oops: I decided however that I owe it to this website for keeping my spirit high... :wink:
I am a middle eastern MBA applicant..3 years work experience as a chemical engineer. I graduated from Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology in Terre Haute, Indiana with a 2.38 GPA.. :oops:
I beat the gmat on Nov 25th 2008. :shock: I scored 700 (90%), V (87%), Q (84%)..I don't recall my scaled scores on either V or Q.

My story:

I studied GMAT for almost four days a week, two hours a day for about two months before D-Day..I took the exam for the first time on June 29,2008..my score was a disapointment...620. I concluded that spending too much time on the first 10-15 Q problems was the reason why I almost ran out of time while I was still working on problem # 30..I literally had to randomly guess on the last seven problems..

So I decided I needed a break..I did not practice at all until one week prior to the exam..I worked very hard then...doing at least a 150 problems' session for 3 to 5 hours a day. Eventually this hard work paid off..

Suggested material:

I tried Kaplan, Kaplan GMAT 800, OG (11ed), McGraw Hill 2008, Princeton Review : Crack the GMAT (2005)..

I think Kaplan was a waste of time..the only section I liked in their guide was the Appendix, it actually contained some good Q formulas..(For those of you who like formulas).
McGraw Hill : Useless..

On strategy, I recommend The Princeton Reveiw :Crack the GMAT..
On practice problems, I recommend OG (11ed)..this book made all the difference to me..

I wish you all the success you deserve in your careers..

I am planning on applying to Washintgon University in St Louis and Boston University...any insights or advice?

Salam.. :D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

congratulations

by smalishah84 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:07 pm
Well done omair...you have a great score. Well done man. Congratulations.

by narendrj » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:08 am
Congratulations....excellent score....
Trying to make Mom and Dad proud

GMAT Score:700

Thanks

by omair » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:24 am
Thanks..you..guys..And..good..luck..to..all..of..you..If..I..can..do..it,..so..can..you.

p.s..Sorry..my..space-bar..is..not..working.

Omair.. :x