MGMAT Online free test

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

MGMAT Online free test

by blitz28 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:52 pm
Hi,

I am sure I am asking this to the right people!
I took the MGMAT test today( the one available on the site).
When I started the test, the timer options included
1) Time- 75 minutes for the Quant section
2) Time- Every question 120 seconds
3) Untimed

Obviously i selected 75 minutes for the quant section, but for the extra practise also selected 120 seconds per question(timer).

Now the unforseen started. I did a lot of question in about 1 min time, however the site did not allow me to mark any question where I exceeded 120 second , instead displayed " you have exceed the time limit available for this question, you will be able to mark at the end of the section if extra time is available"!
I finished maths section with about 8 minutes remaining. but no screen came up for the missed questions, made me think I will get the missed question screen at the end. I finished my verbal with 12 minutes remaining.. but the screen of missed questions/ or option of answering was never there. this unnecessarily spolied my score!

Please throw some light on this, would be glad to hear from you all

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:31 am
Hi blitz28,

These timing options are for people to practice their pacing on the exam (2 minutes for every question, with the exception of Sentence Correction questions, which should be completed in 1 minute 30 seconds). Hence, if you do not answer a question within the given time limit, the test automatically moves on to the next question and it counts as a blank response. This is to help you train yourself to naturally feel when 2 minutes have passed thereby improving your pacing on the real test. If you finish a question under the 2 minute limit, you are not left with extra time on the next question - you still must complete it within the 2 minute time limit.

Additionally, the missed questions did not appear at the end of the exam because the GMAT is a computer adaptive test and once you answer a question, you never see it again. By the same token, you cannot skip questions and every question you leave blank, as you pointed out, will hurt your score.

To me, it seems like you just wanted to practice your pacing on each question within the context of a real GMAT exam. What you should do then is take the test under standard timing options (75 minutes per section) and use the timer attached to the test to help you pace yourself to 2 minutes per question. This way, the test won't skip you to the next question and you won't end up in the same position you're in now.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628